Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any real world noticeable battery capacity loss experience that could be attributed to long term storage at 100% state of charge please?
Ideal would be if there is any Leaf DD or Leafspy capacity readings before and after a long period of car being left at 100% unplugged. We can make a rough estimate of seasonal temperature differences and remove that effect from the readings.
The idea is to try to quantify how much of a negative effect this actually has on a UK car in our favourable climate.
If there is any Nissan dealer reading this that monitors battery capacity over time whilst cars are stored at 100% ready for next customer test please PM me if you wish to remain anonymous to the forum. Thanks.

Super Moderator
Anecdotal evidence suggests the effect is extremely small unless your temperatures are also very high. You might fare better finding this info from lab testing on cells rather than from a vehicle perspective - too many variables.

Administrator
There's some study posted in US and I believe Canada, it seems to make little difference. I can't find the link at the moment. But even then the data numbers are relatively small.

Registered
Hello GBEV

If you always keep 100% without use, capacity loss will loss, but heat will get more problem on this.
My experience as below.
Every day full charge to 100%, will use within 4 hours, never only keep over night when battery below 80%.
This pattern I have use more than 3 years. Only problem when Summer is come.
My car is locate in Hong Kong, Summer always 35C, some user use Fast Charge too much, battery over heat, ODO around 50000km already lost 30% capacity.
If you use Android phone, you can download "Leaf Spy" for monitor battery temperature. Attach is my car' status. Photo take when ODO around 72xxx, battery still have 74%. Now My ODO run more than 76000km, because hot weather comes, battery only have 72% now.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks @gosashi, I see from you picture that Leafspy is reporting a total of 16.125Kw if you add Kw used and Kw remaining. I have never seen the magical 20.5Kw useable battery capacity or max 284 Gids. The most capacity I have seen recently is 19.8 Kw after over night 100% charge Gen 1 ex demo car 2012 registered now done 11,500 miles. I am sure most of the dealers leave cars charged at 100% for days unused contrary to Nissan advice waiting for next potential customer test drive to give biggest range number on screen. I seem to have lost a fair bit of capacity recently since the car was in for a charger fault and replacement. Last October I saw 63.7 A/he capacity which I was happy with, now it is warm and it now reports only just over 60 Amp/hr capacity whatever I do. Whole job took 3 months. Car was left at 100% and not discharged at all the whole time it was in for repair according to Carwings. Nissan owned Nissan dealer doesn't take Nissan's own advice yet customer is advised against doing this to protect battery!
It would be interesting to see what Leaf Spy totalled cumulative used and remaining readings others get to compare battery Kwh capacity as well as Amp/hr capacity to see if we can spot any anomolies which might help work out how these are calculated by the car maybe a good subject for a poll Paul?

Registered
Was just wondering if anyone knew if my leaf spy readings are right. This a 100% charge my stats are 94.6soc 241gids 18.7kwh remain hope someone can help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts