Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I just charged my new Kona at home for the first time - it seemed like it stopped charging at 97% - is that normal and is it part of initial battery conditioning or something?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
1,855 Posts
What do you mean by 'it seemed like it stopped charging'? Did the 3rd light no longer blink? Did the charger indicate session had ended?

Charge rate drops as it approaches 100% so it could well have been charging at a lower rate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by 'it seemed like it stopped charging'? Did the 3rd light no longer blink? Did the charger indicate session had ended?

Charge rate drops as it approaches 100% so it could well have been charging at a lower rate.
The consumption on the smart meter went back to what it had been before I plugged the charger in and the green light around the charge cable on the car went out. I think the 3rd light also stopped blinking and went out as well but I am not 100% sure on that - for sure there was no more current being drawn in the house than at any normal time.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
1,855 Posts
The consumption on the smart meter went back to what it had been before I plugged the charger in and the green light around the charge cable on the car went out. I think the 3rd light also stopped blinking and went out as well but I am not 100% sure on that - for sure there was no more current being drawn in the house than at any normal time.
Could be the BMS was balancing. Next time, leave it in for a while and see if it will continue to 100%. If not, either your charger cuts out when the load falls below a certain threshold or the BMS throws a fit. Try charging with the granny charger. If it then goes to 100% your EVSE might be iffy.

·
Registered
KIA EV6 GT-Line S AWD in Yacht Blue
486 Posts
Typical AC charging graph for a Kona with the latest BMS software. There is a dip at 80% SOC where the BMS checks that everything is ok, and then a step down as you approach 100% which is where cell ballancing occurs. The graph is from my smart meter so you can see the house base load reflected in the graph.

John.

Rectangle Product Slope Font Plot

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Typical AC charging graph for a Kona with the latest BMS software. There is a dip at 80% SOC where the BMS checks that everything is ok, and then a step down as you approach 100% which is where cell ballancing occurs. The graph is from my smart meter so you can see the house base load reflected in the graph.

John.

View attachment 167041
That‘s not really what I observed today - it was more like a vertical drop off straight down to base load - I will see what happens next time I try it and leave it plugged in for longer.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I noticed this when I bought my Kona in 2018. It jumps from 97 or 98% to 100% instantly. I could speculate but I don't know for sure what it's doing. Due to the battery recall I've haven't charged past 90% in 2 years so can't replicate it now.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
205 Posts

John.

View attachment 167041
My 2019 Kona has a new battery and associated software updates. What you describe as a BMS charge dip, occurs sometimes mid-charge at other SoC percentages..
Font Slope Parallel Technology Rectangle

but not always
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry

On both days the car was unused, there was a scheduled charge 9-10am @15A, and the maximum charge limited to 60%, typically starting near 50%.
The dip at half charge is puzzling, as is the timing of the following 4 20min top-ups...

·
Registered
768 Posts
No doubt your newer software has changes that I'm not familiar with but my initial impression is that your 12V battery seems not fully able to take on a full charge. It's possible that the newer version is simply trying to do a better job at maintaining the 12V battery surrounding a traction charge event but the 12.80 V settled level seems slightly low to me. I would expect closer to 13 V. If you haven't done so already, perhaps verify the accuracy of the BM2 with a DVM.

I don't think the gap between the double set of 30-minute charges is of any consequence, noting that the BM2 has a 2-minute sampling interval and may randomly miss the gap. For whatever reason the car has decided that a second 30-min 12V session is appropriate in both cases.

The activity visible between the charges from 10:00 to about 14:40 looks to me like traction battery maintenance, pretty much what started at Campaign 196. In my version the 12V battery has to support the activity throughout, without the benefit of the 2-hourly 20-min top-ups.

·
Registered
205 Posts
No doubt your newer software has changes that I'm not familiar with but my initial impression is that your 12V battery seems not fully able to take on a full charge. It's possible that the newer version is simply trying to do a better job at maintaining the 12V battery surrounding a traction charge event but the 12.80 V settled level seems slightly low to me. I would expect closer to 13 V. If you haven't done so already, perhaps verify the accuracy of the BM2 with a DVM.

I don't think the gap between the double set of 30-minute charges is of any consequence, noting that the BM2 has a 2-minute sampling interval and may randomly miss the gap. For whatever reason the car has decided that a second 30-min 12V session is appropriate in both cases.

The activity visible between the charges from 10:00 to about 14:40 looks to me like traction battery maintenance, pretty much what started at Campaign 196. In my version the 12V battery has to support the activity throughout, without the benefit of the 2-hourly 20-min top-ups.
It looks maybe like my 12v battery "normal". I managed to find data from exactly a year ago, almost identical (but original battery)..
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Same charging regime, same drop mid-charge, same pattern after..
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
KIA EV6 GT-Line S AWD in Yacht Blue
486 Posts
I think the 12v thingy is a battery too!:sneaky:
Indeed it is, but the original post is about a problem charging the traction battery and the thread has now inexplicably morphed into charging the 12V battery.o_O

John

Reactions: Mikrt and ferij

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was wondering the same but the feedback on the traction battery is very useful - next time I will leave the cable connected overnight and maybe it will need to do some calibration or something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was wondering the same but the feedback on the traction battery is very useful - next time I will leave the cable connected overnight and maybe it will need to do some calibration or something.
Once the green light goes out and the white light or no light occurs it won't switch itself on again until the plug has been pulled and reinserted. If you are using a wallbox you might need to switch that on and off too.

·
Registered
Kona 64kw Premium 2022
662 Posts
97%

I remember I had the same issue last year when I had a Nissan Leaf and was part of the V2G trial.

The car would never charge to more than 97%. It transpires that it was not the car limiting the charge but the Quasar V2G charger. This charger would always stop charging onc ethe car got to 97% and this setting was inbuilt into the charger.

Sio you may find that you home charger has a similar restriction

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
97%

I remember I had the same issue last year when I had a Nissan Leaf and was part of the V2G trial.

The car would never charge to more than 97%. It transpires that it was not the car limiting the charge but the Quasar V2G charger. This charger would always stop charging onc ethe car got to 97% and this setting was inbuilt into the charger.

Sio you may find that you home charger has a similar restriction
What is V2g?

I suppose it could be but it’s a BP pulse charger and it isn’t even the fancy one in the pictures on their website I think it’s the basic model. I can’t find anything so far in the BP Smartcharge app about limiting charging but I’ll search a bit more later

·
Registered
Kona64
2,244 Posts
Thrash it with a branch from a neighbours' tree ?

slightly more helpfully, can you confirm it has charged to 100% elsewhere ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thrash it with a branch from a neighbours' tree ?

slightly more helpfully, can you confirm it has charged to 100% elsewhere ?
This will be a further test. I have put it on charge afteR a day trip today so I’ll see what it does by the morning.

Next tests will be what you are suggesting, and also testing with the car settings at reduced current.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts