Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking the various fluid levels on the way back from a weekend away and noticed the battery coolant level was below the min marker. I've had my Volt since the start of July and haven't driven that far - only a couple of weekends away and some local weekend driving.

Has anyone else needed to top this up yet?

I appreciate that checking while the engine is hot (even though it's the battery coolant) isn't the best time - even so it was a little way under the marker.

Having read the US manual online it seems you need a 50/50 mix of Dex-Cool and deionised water. I asked at my GM dealer (was hoping this would be something generic I could get from Halfords) and they said they didn't have any stock and would need to order it. They also thought the fact that GM hadn't supplied the part yet meant it wasn't something they'd expect maintenance on yet. There must be people who have driven much further / had many more charge cycles than I have - worried it could be a leak.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
First of all.. STOP! the battery coolant for the Ampera is not user serviceable, in the UK the car should be fitted with an anti tamper bracket. You may invalidate any warranty if you do anything yourself.

I understand that deionised water is a must (DO NOT USE TAP WATER!) you can buy deionised water but I'd see what the dealer says before you do anything yourself.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have not heard of anyone having low levels yet, so you might be able to claim it's a warranty issue (was not right to start with) on such a new car.. and maybe consider getting them to leak test it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've checked the level again this evening (cold engine) and it is definitely below the mark.

I've attached an image for reference and am curious how it compares to other owners' levels.

BTW - It does have the anti-tamper bracket.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had the same issue and called the dealer - I was told that even on a new, just PDI'd Ampera the coolant level was just below the join on the bottle and therefore must be OK.

I am just keeping an eye on it - in case...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, heads up here. Mine was also low, so I left it, and then one day..... "Service High Voltage Charging System" and no charge. Had to take it to the dealer (on petrol), who spent two days to top up the fluid. Which was nice. Aparently, it should be "LEVEL WITH THE OTHER TANK" which should be towards the top. If its gets too low, there's a sensor which disabled the charging system and needs a dealer to reset. Turns out that its caused by airlocks during manufacture that work themselves out and cause the level to drop - so says the dealer, reading from an email (from GM).

So, if its low, get to the dealer and have them top it up. BUT - call them first because my dealer didn't have any of the coolant and had to order it, which I thought was a good start.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Having seen this thread I checked my battery coolant level and it was really low, much lower than uncareful owner's picture, so I took it in, letting them know exactly what the problem was. Over two hours later I took it away ( they checked for leaks and were not aware of the settling issue) but they did notice it was below the mark on the latest one they had delivered to them, so it would make sense for the dealer to check and top up as a matter of course as it is a simple problem to look out for. New buyers are advised to check!

·
Militant EV driver!
4,563 Posts
I checked my coolant this evening. I *think* I can see some max and min lines about a centimetre below the join in the bottle. Is that correct?

My coolant is just at the min line, maybe a fraction of a millimetre below it. Wondering if I need to worry before the annual service.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
From experience it will go down another 2cm before the sensor trips, It will stop the car from charging but not driving. It will show the Orange engine warning light and "Service High Voltage Charging Equipment" message. If you can read the ODB II data it will show P1E00, P1FFE, P1FFF (Coolant Level, Engine Warning, Charge Warning) This will need a reset.

You can buy Deionised water from places like Wilko's for about 60p per litre and the coolant from any GM dealer. (DO NOT USE TAP WATER!)

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
The battery coolant is not an owner service item, that is why they fit the anti tamper bracket. If you top up the coolant yourself and there were any issues, Vauxhall could legally deny a warranty claim.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My Vauxhall dealer recently topped up the left tank (with the anti-tamper bracket) just above the raised join line as previously it was about 8mm below the marker line similar to uncarefulowner's posting. They checked for leaks but did not find any.
The tank to the right is about 15mm from the top of the tank, they did not change this level.
I did not have any problems but thought it was best to get it checked out before its' April service.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Having read this thread, just checked mine. I've done 3000 miles from new, the coolant level in that left hand tank is right on the join of the tank, i.e. 1cm above the 'min' line. So it hasnt moved since new. A thought struck me while looking at all the nice clean shiny bits under the bonnet, that wouldnt it be nice if cars stayed that way - and then realising that the Ampera will probably stay looking new under the bonnet a lot longer than most cars because of the lack of hot oily bits and drive belts whizzing round everywhere :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just for information, my Ampera has let me down twice now. The first time was when it dumped all the battery coolant, due to a leaking heat exchanger. It chose to do that when I was in Somerset, 200 miles from home. It took Eden Exeter (who are the nearest Ampera agents) six days to sort it out. I had to go home in a hire car and my Ampera was was sent later that week by trailer.

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems Ralph - hopefully no more for you...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts