Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am a happy e-Niro user. After 33.000 km and year and a half, I checked the actual SoC after charging to 100% using OBD. There it said 95.5%, so it seems I have a 0.50% of degradation as I've been told battery buffer is 5% of total.

What's yours?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi all! I am a happy e-Niro user. After 33.000 km and year and a half, I checked the actual SoC after charging to 100% using OBD. There it said 95.5%, so it seems I have a 0.50% of degradation as I've been told battery buffer is 5% of total.

What's yours?
This percentage of total capacity at 100% SoC varies in my experience. I don't know that you can deduce very much from it. Mine was 94.5% at the end of January. Back at the end of October it was 96%. The 100% charge seems to stop at different voltages, too. Maybe temperature-dependent? There's also an SOH readout, but I believe everybody's reads 100%, i.e. not valid data.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This percentage of total capacity at 100% SoC varies in my experience. I don't know that you can deduce very much from it. Mine was 94.5% at the end of January. Back at the end of October it was 96%. The 100% charge seems to stop at different voltages, too. Maybe temperature-dependent? There's also an SOH readout, but I believe everybody's reads 100%, i.e. not valid data.
I would agree with you if that number goes up and down, but in your case is increasing (which "would" be consistent as a degradation). If anyone else is seeing this number increasing and decreasing I would love to know.

Didn't check about the voltage variation at 100%, probably related with temperature as you said, will do, thanks for the hint!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
There is no standard for calculating battery degradation and the way they do it is a trade secret, so it's very hard to know what these numbers mean.

It might help if someone with a brand new eNiro could check if they actually have 100% or something less. Long ago I used to fit lead acid batteries and customers would complain that the "new" ones where not showing 100% capacity. They were not supposed to see the true capacity, it was in an engineering menu and set 100% to be the ideal that few batteries ever reached. I think in the end they just made it so that the top level was 110% because the customers wouldn't complain that they were getting some extra life for free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no standard for calculating battery degradation and the way they do it is a trade secret, so it's very hard to know what these numbers mean.

It might help if someone with a brand new eNiro could check if they actually have 100% or something less. Long ago I used to fit lead acid batteries and customers would complain that the "new" ones where not showing 100% capacity. They were not supposed to see the true capacity, it was in an engineering menu and set 100% to be the ideal that few batteries ever reached. I think in the end they just made it so that the top level was 110% because the customers wouldn't complain that they were getting some extra life for free.
In this case I've used OBD and Soul EV Spy, which shows both "display SoC" and "actual SoC", so definitely not display data but "real" data, and I found that actual SoC is usually around 95% so it is consistent with the 5% buffer (total around 67.2 kwh).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts