Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I know it is early days for the MG, but what it the highest mileage MG ZS EV people are aware of, and are there any indications of early battery degradation rates? Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi. I know it is early days for the MG, but what it the highest mileage MG ZS EV people are aware of, and are there any indications of early battery degradation rates? Thanks.
You might not have noticed, but a quarter of the world is locked down at the moment.

Do you think anybody is in a position to gather that information a month or two after they took delivery of their cars???

Jeepers.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
This kind of question also follows the mistaken assumption that battery degradation is all about mileage. It isn't. A lot of degradation is age related and varies depending on exposure to high state of charge and/or high temperatures.

Even if someone was doing a high mileage in a ZS over the last coupe of months this can't possibly be extrapolated out to an older car doing the same mileage.

In short, at this age it's impossible to know how well the batteries will hold up. Check back in 5 years for a better idea...(seriously)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
WAY......... too soon, for people to be able to provide a accurate answer to this type of question really, sorry !.
It's like asking :-
"How long is a piece of string"........... right now !.
We need to take a rain check on this question ( as they would say in the states ).
There will be nobody who can offer a correct / close answer to your question.
"Get back to us latter" is the best response that you are likely to get right now.
Nobody has owned their cars long enough, in order to give an even close to a "Stab In The Dark" opinion on this subject yet.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We owned a Citroën C-Zero for four years. Each time we charged it, we would reset the trip meter, then at the next charge add driven miles to range remaining to see if anything drastic had changed.

But it's a highly insentive process, because we rapidly realised that the results depended on ambient temperature, the nature of the preceding drive (slow, fast, hilly, flat) whether a/c or heating had been used, weather, night driving, etc. . And no doubt many other variables.

Our eventual conclusion was that we had detected no significant degradation during our 4 year ownership, and the car was still returning a range entirely consistent with what we understood the real world performance of a new model to be.

By this time the car was over eight years old.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
The CATL battery in the ZS has a water cooled battery. Almost all the water cooled battery’s in production cars seem to be faring extremely well compared to what was originally thought, with just the Leaf & eGolf with no thermal management. Battery degradation is a Leaf problem yes, but even they are lasting many many years apart from very early ones which are used in very hot climates.

I really don’t think that the ZS EV will suffer much degradation for many years and will perform way better than any Leaf out there.

·
Registered
2020 MG ZS EV
12 Posts
The CATL battery in the ZS has a water cooled battery. Almost all the water cooled battery’s in production cars seem to be faring extremely well compared to what was originally thought, with just the Leaf & eGolf with no thermal management. Battery degradation is a Leaf problem yes, but even they are lasting many many years apart from very early ones which are used in very hot climates.

I really don’t think that the ZS EV will suffer much degradation for many years and will perform way better than any Leaf out there.
I do agree, just time will let us know.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts

Hi Mike - The findings do appear to show that EV batteries ARE lasting much longer than most people though, which is really fantastic.
The fact that manufacturers appear to be confident in offering long warranties against these HV batteries must go some way to show even their increased expected life span of the units.
They would not be offering these warranties if they expected their customers to be filing claims for a new HV unit after only a few years of ownership.
Let’s be honest, they are not a cheap item to repair / replace.
If you wanted to exchange / upgrade your current ZS EV in a few years time, I think the SOC of the battery would still be attractive enough for somebody to buy it on the second hand market.
You only have to look at the Nissan Leaf, it is still a very popular car on the second hand market !.
On a personal basis, I would be more prepared to take a chance on say a 4 year old Leaf that had covered 50,000 miles than the equivalent ICE car with the same recorded mileage.
50 - 60,000 on an ICE car and you are looking at high serving costs.
Timing belts, exhaust, braking components etc etc.
None of these concerns on the EV needless to say.
So, in theory the EV is a more reliable / safer option ???.

·
Registered
515 Posts
On a personal basis, I would be more prepared to take a chance on say a 4 year old Leaf that had covered 50,000 miles than the equivalent ICE car with the same recorded mileage.
50 - 60,000 on an ICE car and you are looking at high serving costs.
Timing belts, exhaust, braking components etc etc.
None of these concerns on the EV needless to say.
So, in theory the EV is a more reliable / safer option ???.
Not to put too much of a downer on your post, but EV repairs at that age, especially if out of warranty, can be prohibitive. DC-DC converter, charging unit, and any one of the on board computers can cost thousands of pounds to get diagnosed and repaired.

On the plus side, there are lots of older EV's still running around with no problems!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Not to put too much of a downer on your post, but EV repairs at that age, especially if out of warranty, can be prohibitive. DC-DC converter, charging unit, and any one of the on board computers can cost thousands of pounds to get diagnosed and repaired.

On the plus side, there are lots of older EV's still running around with no problems!
Yes - On this point I have to conclude that you are correct, however I used an example of a EV that was only 4 years old and covered between 40 - 50,000 miles.
Most ( if not all EV’s ) would still be covered under the warranty.
Try getting a rusty exhaust or a cam belt replaced under warranty !.
No chance, and a quote:-
“It’s serviceable item, and therefore chargeable sorry sir”.

·
Registered
235 Posts
We know that EVs have fewer moving parts and are, therefore, cheaper to service but as eclectic points out when those parts fail they will be massively expensive to diagnose and repair. I don't ever intend to own a car outright again, there is little point, the level of twitchiness I would experience when it was out of warranty is not worth it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well it does in the city 😄, on the driver side on the battery pack there is a sticker, have a look.
OK, so we now know the model number & pack manufacturer, that's a step forward. I still don't think this is the battery you mentioned, may just be me having a senior moment, what am I missing?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Most ( if not all EV’s ) would still be covered under the warranty.
Which makes it a good idea to extend your warranty before it expires. It helps to keep it's value. I remember a lot of chatter on the Zoe forum on this. The general consensus was that it would be a good thing. Especially as Zoe's warranty is so short.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Which makes it a good idea to extend your warranty before it expires. It helps to keep it's value. I remember a lot of chatter on the Zoe forum on this. The general consensus was that it would be a good thing. Especially as Zoe's warranty is so short.
This does make perfect sense to me.
I opted to extended the warranty on my previous plugin hybrid twice before I sold it.
The top level of cover through VW was about £200 per year I think ?.
Of course, nothing went wrong.
It never does IF you pay to extend the warranty !!!.
Does MG offer an extended warranty plan ????:unsure:.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts