Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at Doctoral Researcher at the University of Birmingham in the UK and am conducting a survey on the ownership of Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV). The aim of the study is to ultimately increase electric vehicle sales in UK and Europe as they currently are lagging behind sales expectations in most regions. The survey takes around 10 minutes to complete and explores issues such as how owning a BEV has impacted you, what you enjoy about the vehicle and your views in general of owning a BEV. Please use the link below to take part in this survey. The questionnaire is aimed at US owners, as there are so many of them in comparison to the UK, but UK responses would be extremely useful for me as goes for BEV owners across the world.

I have already received responses from Tesla Model S and Roadster owners and from Nissan Leaf owners, but I would like to get the opinions of owners of other electric vehicles from Renault, GM, VW, Ford, Mitsubishi etc...

Please use the following link to access the survey: https://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/bham/bevsurvey/

Your responses would be very much appreciated. Any queries just ask.

Scott

Tesla and Nissan Leaf Owners may have already seen this on Nissan and Tesla Forums, apologies if this is the case.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
The aim of the study is to ultimately increase electric vehicle sales in UK
To what end? As in, why is the goal of a study carried out by an educational institution to increase sales of a certain type of vehicle – a commercial/industrial target?

I'll take a look and complete the survey later all the same, just interested in the context.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The research isn't sponsored by any automotive companies, its purely a theoretical exercise. The goal is to add to the limited academic literature on battery electric vehicles, so that we can understand how to better align them to markets. The biggest study to date only includes 100 or so electric vehicle owners, so there a a serious gap in understanding.

Obviously if any automotive companies are interested in the work, that can read it when published,

·
Registered
279 Posts
Done. Although it seems to assume that I own a Nissan Leaf. There's also a slightly odd question that seemingly invites me to respond that I owned an electric vehicle before owning an electric vehicle - I chose to interpret that as being before owning THIS electric vehicle. I was also invited to choose between electric and hybrid as my vehicle type, but you can argue an Ampera either way - range-extended electric or plug-in hybrid.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Yeah, I was going to ask if you wanted responses from Ampera owners? Your opening statement refers to BEV's so just wondered.

Derek

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hmmmm, completed - but looks to be written by Nissan. First questions just confirmed that I have Aspergers and don't work well in a team.
Then I got stumped by "do you own or lease your car ?" - it wouldn't let me say yes, both actually (Zoe battery !)
Like @Nick I was a bit flummoxed by did you own an electric vehicle before owning an electric vehicle ?
And you can choose any state in the US to live in but nothing for Brits.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Scott,

You received quite a lot of feedback when you posted this over at LeafTalk (Nissan Leaf Owners Survey) - were you able to make those changes before collecting data from this new cohort? I'm thinking particularly of the sensitive question re: salary.

All the best with the project!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Surely salary is a key factor in determining affordability of EVs ?
Not sure why anyone would not want to disclose it in an anonymous survey ?
Hi Scott,

You received quite a lot of feedback when you posted this over at LeafTalk (Nissan Leaf Owners Survey) - were you able to make those changes before collecting data from this new cohort? I'm thinking particularly of the sensitive question re: salary.

All the best with the project!

·
Registered
42 Posts
You'd normally include a 'prefer not to say' option, especially if all the questions are mandatory - and there was also a suggestion that amending it to present the bands in £s as well as $s would have been welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the responses.

Nick & kentish zoe, I based the survey on a previous one I had made for Nissan Leaf owners, I thought I had removed all 'nissan' and 'leafs'. Thanks for pointing it out I've amended that. I've also changed the question from saying 'had you owned a BEV before owning a BEV' to 'had you owned a BEV before owning your current BEV'.

Derekosb I would like to here from Ampera owners, the survey doesn't exclude plug-in hybrid or range extended BEVs. These vehicles just aren't the main target for the survey, so some questions may read strange if you own a plug in hybrid or range extended BEV.

Stephanie, I hadn't originally made the amendment to the salary question, but I have now added a rather not say option. I hope that helps.

Any more queries please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yeah, I was going to ask if you wanted responses from Ampera owners? Your opening statement refers to BEV's so just wondered.

Derek
It also seeks input from GM owners. What GM product in Europe qualifies except Ampera / Volt?

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
OK, survey completed.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Completed-though there's still a question in there about another Nissan Purchase..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nick, Good point! I guess I was thinking of the Spark EV although its not available in Europe.

Thanks Derekosb & EV Rider

Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts