Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Blue BMW i3s 94ah 2018
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This proves to be interesting and informatIve. Some of you probably know this. There are some 'secret' menus available to look at. Read only (I hope). One of the really useful thing they tell you is the true health of your battery. Best looked at when it's supposed to be 100% charged.

You need your unlock code. This is the last five digits of your VIN added. It will be a number around 30ish.

Car 'ready'. You hold your trip reset button down for over 10sec. The initial menus appear. Short presses to move. Hold for about 3sec to select.

Select Unlock. Press the button the number of times of your unlock code. Unlock by holding for 3secs.

Then you're in. One of the options is about Battery. It tells you the current charge. My theoretical 33kWh was 30.5kWh which apparently very good. The previous owner has been kind to the battery!

·
Registered
BMW i3
485 Posts
This proves to be interesting and informatIve. Some of you probably know this. There are some 'secret' menus available to look at. Read only (I hope). One of the really useful thing they tell you is the true health of your battery. Best looked at when it's supposed to be 100% charged.

You need your unlock code. This is the last five digits of your VIN added. It will be a number around 30ish.

Car 'ready'. You hold your trip reset button down for over 10sec. The initial menus appear. Short presses to move. Hold for about 3sec to select.

Select Unlock. Press the button the number of times of your unlock code. Unlock by holding for 3secs.

Then you're in. One of the options is about Battery. It tells you the current charge. My theoretical 33kWh was 30.5kWh which apparently very good. The previous owner has been kind to the battery!
The 94Ah i3 battery was supposedly 33.2kWh gross capacity with 27.2kWh usable, so over 30kWh usable is very good going!

I saw a review of a nearly new 94Ah, which showed 30kWh usable via Batt Kappa Max, so assumed that was the true capacity, not seen one over that (usually it’s 28kWh or so after a few years)

NB over at the i3 FB group they warn about reading too much into this, as it can vary a fair bit - reported battery capacity is a guesstimate essentially, with lots of variables!

·
Registered
Blue BMW i3s 94ah 2018
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 94Ah i3 battery was supposedly 33.2kWh gross capacity with 27.2kWh usable, so over 30kWh usable is very good going!
My car is about 15k and has all the indications of having been very well looked after by its first owner.

I take your points. Batteries seem very fickle creatures.

My plan is to have the occasional look at the hidden value after a slow full charge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts