Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my return yesterday afternoon from the EV’s in the Park meet up I charged once locally no problem but then stopped for a quick charge near Oxford. When I unplugged a message that was too quick to read that flashed up on the dash and about 30 seconds later I had the restricted power message and the turtle come up. I am assuming that the traction battery might have been too hot. I drove home towards Surrey with no issues, if anything the range was amazing. Towards Windsor the turtle light went out. I am assuming that this is because the battery had cooled down.

I plugged the car in to charge and the last minute lasted closer to ten minutes while I sat in the car waiting for it to finish charging. The dash said it had 94 miles of range when I turned the car on to look at the range. I had assumed that I would have got great range. Kia is always saying that the hotter the battery the better the range. However when I finally unplugged and turned the car back on it shot up to 101 miles of range. This time last year I was consistently getting between 112 & 115 miles of range. This year I have struggled to get that.

If the battery was cooler would it have charged better and there by giving me better range?

Any ideas or thoughts?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,064 Posts
Did you charge at Polar Didcot? There is something odd going on with that charger.

What is the year of your Soul?

The Soul is pretty good with its battery, as it gets hot you should hear the fan in the boot get progressively louder and louder.

If you did not hear this, and it is as you say due to battery heat (I tend to doubt it, but maybe) then the two reasons are either the fan isn't working, in which case yes your battery may very well get too hot, or you have stuffed your boot with things which are masking the sound and restricting the air flow to the battery. It literally just vents from the cabin through a gap behind the lower boot cover and the back seat, that is why there is a ~5cm gap there. If you block it, the air doesn't circulate well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it wasn’t Didcot and I didn’t have anything other than a fold up deck chair in the boot. Perhaps I will pop down to the dealer and ask them they may have an answer.

Mine is on a 17 plate and it’s a 27 kWh battery.

·
23,064 Posts
No it wasn’t Didcot and I didn’t have anything other than a fold up deck chair in the boot. Perhaps I will pop down to the dealer and ask them they may have an answer.

Mine is on a 17 plate and it’s a 27 kWh battery.
I think that would be wise. We'd all be guessing otherwise, and seeing turtle for no good reason doesn't sound great.

At least it gets logged with the dealer who might then advise you of software updates and such if it is a known thing elsewhere.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: 30th August 2019
I took the Smurf in for a battery health check and what they discovered in fact was that the boot fan had stopped working and was no longer cooling the battery. This explains why the car wouldn't charge past 94 miles on a rapid charger and why it wouldn't charge past 101 miles on a slow charge. The battery was simply too hot to take the charge and the car restricted everything to protect the battery.

A new fan cooling fan will be installed on Wednesday afternoon which is a positive and I may still get some good range for the remaining warmer weather.
Thankfully, covered on warranty but even if it wasn't my lease provider would have paid the bill. Also had the new map updates done as well.

·
23,064 Posts
I am surprised the car didn't flag up a fault fan by itself. Doesn't sound like clever programming, but we know that of the Soul already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts