Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know when the battery heater is supposed to work, is it just when it's plugged into a rapid charger? I've been checking in this cold weather to see when it comes on, I'm checking the amps on the dash when the car is first turned on without the cabin heater running and it just reads 0, and have felt the pipes under the AC DC inverter where the coolant heater is which runs to the battery and they're always ice cold, in either running the car or when plugged in at home on my fast charger. So I'm guessing the battery heater must only come on when connected to a rapid charger? I'm just wondering whether to have to battery heater upgrade done when my car goes in for it's service in a few weeks.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think if you don't have the manual override battery heating update, then it comes on at -10c

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Does anybody know when the battery heater is supposed to work, is it just when it's plugged into a rapid charger? I've been checking in this cold weather to see when it comes on, I'm checking the amps on the dash when the car is first turned on without the cabin heater running and it just reads 0, and have felt the pipes under the AC DC inverter where the coolant heater is which runs to the battery and they're always ice cold, in either running the car or when plugged in at home on my fast charger. So I'm guessing the battery heater must only come on when connected to a rapid charger? I'm just wondering whether to have to battery heater upgrade done when my car goes in for it's service in a few weeks.
Don’t bother with the latest battery heater update. It causes more problems than it’s worth. So much so MG have pulled it and are rewriting the code, so even if you wanted it you can’t!!!

Yes, I think the battery heater automatically comes on around -10°C or around that, so here in the UK, unless your are in Scotland, I don’t think it would ever operate.

Oh, and yes, I do have the battery heater update. I was told after I couldn’t get it to work, that it only works when the temperature is below 5°C. If I had known that, I don’t think I would have had the update.

This update supposedly cuts range by 50% if you use it according to the Norwegian owners.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Really?
That's terrible. Hopefully your car gets sorted! In that case, I'm glad that my unlucky turn of events at the dealer the other day resulted in me not getting the update (they didn't have the right USB stick)
I hope that they can fix it in a way which means rapid charging is viable in the colder months.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,069 Posts
Once bitten twice shy, I never volunteer for updates early doors now. Zoe BMS was the nail in the coffin for me, I still don't even have the comfort update. Although I will likely request it in March when my first service is due.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts