Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
33 Posts
Yesterday (Jan 23rd) I did a trip and charged at the Shell Recharge Saxondale 100kW charger after driving about 170 miles. The outside temperature was 0°C and, when I plugged in with 9% charge on the battery, the Min battery temperature (the one that the allowed charge speed is based on) was 14°C. As a result, when I plugged in the charger started at 37kW as expected, quickly rising to ~40 and then ~50+kW once it crossed the first threshold at 15°C. Also when I plugged in, the battery heater came on to start to warm the battery pack. Looking at the monitored temps on the Car Scanner app, it looks like the heater temp tracks the battery temp since it was always about 10 to 15° more than the current battery temp as that increased up to 25*C. Anyway, it then took 25mins for all 4 compartments of the battery (and hence the min temp) to reach 25°C, by which time the state of charge was already ~35%. As soon as this threshold was crossed the charging power switched up to 75kW and stayed there until the ~52% charge threshold where it stepped to around 60kW, again as expected.

So though there is a battery heater (apparently a 2kW unit wrapped around the 'coolant' inlet pipe to the battery pack), it's action is quite slow so you really need to try to get the battery as warm as possible before you get to the charger to speed things up when you are there - so ideally charge after driving a long way giving you chance to do so. It's a great shame that the 'Winter mode', which does heat the battery up whilst you are moving, only comes into operation below -5°C. If this were not the case and it could be manually activated or you could set the temperature at which it activated, this could substantially shorten charging times when the outside temp is below around 5°C (since driving the car seems capable of maintaining around a 15°C heating effect at 0°C). This facility (with suitable safeguards) seems to me like something that could easily be added in a software update, but whether Kia will do so if enough people ask, who knows. So far this is the only real disappointment I have in the car since it has the capability to optimise Rapid charging times via the heater, but you just can't turn the damn thing on, unless you happen to live in a suitably cold country.

· Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
33 Posts
Interesting read. I'm coming from paying about how inefficient my ID3 is in the cold. It seems the battery heater comes on every time the car is started when the temperature is below 8°C.
This gives very low efficiency figures on journeys of less than half an hour, maybe longer.
I had a Niro for just over a year and it was much more efficient on those shorter runs and as I rarely needed to charge the Niro while away from home I preferred it not to waste energy on heating the battery.

Maybe a setting on the dash would be needed to switch on heating to the battery when making longer runs.
Yes, I can see 'compulsory heating' would also be annoying.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.