Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well saw a new charging curve today in the New Car,

Winter Mode is turned off in Settings, it was 13c outside, Battery was at 13c when I arrived at a 50Kw Rapid charger..

Plugged in car showed charging at 43kw on Screen, but EVNotify showed 40kw, so a 3kw loss... Car making a buzzing so a pump running,

Within a couple of mins the coolant temp went from 13c to 25c at which point the pump shut down and the charge on car and evnotify both went to 46kw.

In all the charges we did in the old car never ever saw the coolant heating in action, and was not expecting to in this mild weather, so wonder if its the new car or the new software, and the Resistive battery heater is there and working thats for sure.

Which is great as it allowed the car to throttle up to 46 / 47kw a lot earlier than if just letting the battery heat naturally.

COOLANT TEMP & BATTERY TEMP

COOLANT TEMP & CHARGE SPEED

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Great stuff! Nice to hear some positive news about charging curves for a change :).

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great stuff! Nice to hear some positive news about charging curves for a change :).
Yep, Now away from the doom and gloom of charging issues and back to the fun and practicality of the Kona.

Watched the Electrifying review of the Kona yesterday, falls so much in line with my thoughts on it,. Well worth a look if you havent seen it..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Certainly pre-BMS update, battery heating when DCFC started at anything below 15°C. I don't think that's affected by or related to the winter mode setting.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Winter Mode is turned off in Settings, it was 13c outside, Battery was at 13c when I arrived at a 50Kw Rapid charger..

Plugged in car showed charging at 43kw on Screen, but EVNotify showed 40kw, so a 3kw loss... Car making a buzzing so a pump running,

Within a couple of mins the coolant temp went from 13c to 25c at which point the pump shut down and the charge on car and evnotify both went to 46kw.

In all the charges we did in the old car never ever saw the coolant heating in action, and was not expecting to in this mild weather, so wonder if its the new car or the new software, and the Resistive battery heater is there and working thats for sure.

Which is great as it allowed the car to throttle up to 46 / 47kw a lot earlier than if just letting the battery heat naturally.

View attachment 134486

View attachment 134488
This the same experience I have with my Canadian spec Kona. Like yourself I appreciate it but wish it had a bigger restive battery heater when its really cold, it struggles at sub zero temperatures.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
176 Posts

View attachment 134486

View attachment 134488
Interesting graphs, curious how you obtained these data points. My KIA Soul EV 64kWh doesn't have winter mode as a menu option. However I'm guessing (hoping?) it had the battery warmer. Is there any way to confirm this?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting graphs, curious how you obtained these data points. My KIA Soul EV 64kWh doesn't have winter mode as a menu option. However I'm guessing (hoping?) it had the battery warmer. Is there any way to confirm this?
Hi, the data is from an OBDII Reader in the OBD Port and an Android App EVNotify.

Not sure about the battery heater in the 64kw soul, I know in the Kona its region specific, as for confirming it, only rreal way id to plug in with the app at low temps and look for a rapid rise of fluid temp

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
176 Posts
Hi, the data is from an OBDII Reader in the OBD Port and an Android App EVNotify.

Not sure about the battery heater in the 64kw soul, I know in the Kona its region specific, as for confirming it, only rreal way id to plug in with the app at low temps and look for a rapid rise of fluid temp
Thanks. So the battery heater works even with winter mode turned off.
Wondering what this mode is for?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Winter mode heats the battery while you are driving so it's warm when you arrive at a charger but reduces range as it's using power

The other mode only starts to warm battery when you start to charge so does not use your power while driving but then you have to wait a while for battery to warm and charge to speed up

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IONITY CHARGING CURVE.

Still cant get used to charging working as it should, almost perfect Ionity charging session 20% to 80%. arrived with battery just below 25c so had to charge at 53kw for a few mins before it jumped to 77kw, but really nice to see everything as it should be and the coolant kicking in from 26c down to 13c in a couple of mins which kept the battery stable and below 30c

45Min from 20% to 80% not too shaby..

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Really pleased to see this! Is that logging through EVNotify, did you say earlier? I use it to remotely monitor the charging as I have it connected to an old phone in the car which transmits it to the EVNotify server, so I can then monitor it from anywhere... Haven't tried logging with it yet though.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really pleased to see this! Is that logging through EVNotify, did you say earlier? I use it to remotely monitor the charging as I have it connected to an old phone in the car which transmits it to the EVNotify server, so I can then monitor it from anywhere... Haven't tried logging with it yet though.
Yep EVNotify. I have not bothered with the remote stuff in this car as the Hyundai app deals well enough with everything I need to do while away from the car, but I have a bluetooth OBD wired in behind the dash so I can monitor the temps when I am bored sitting in the car. (Saves me going to Macds and putting even more weight on).. EVs need a snacking health warning ;-)

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Ending up at the Ionity chargers, unless I'm much mistaken? :)

Reactions: stageshoot

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Yes ossifer that was the reason wot I was exceeding said speed limit Mr Plod sir, begging yer pardon guvnr! :)

Reactions: stageshoot
1 - 16 of 16 Posts