Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Model 3 with long range battery was rear ended on drivers side. The charge port was damaged. Now it’s at zero charge in the body shop. The shop is telling me that if they keep the original battery then the car will not be totaled. I don’t want a car with a damaged battery.

1. will the battery be damaged by sitting at zero ? It’s been 5 days so far.
2. How do I know the battery is safe after the accident?

E33B0564-6EA5-419F-BBA2-18D84A125AB4.jpeg

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,928 Posts
The problem is there might be damage to the charging cables, so charging it (even if the flap would open) might start a fire.

There is some reserve to protect the battery, so I wouldn’t worry overly.

If this is getting back on the road, surely it would need a full Tesla inspection in any case?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,932 Posts
The shop is telling me that if they keep the original battery then the car will not be totaled.
If they keep the original rear bumper then they'll save money as well - but that doesn't make it a sensible thing to do.

What is the cost to you of the car being totaled rather than repaired? In the UK it depends on the type of insurance that you and the other driver have, but in a lot of cases there would be no difference to you. I know that the US is different.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Is the battery really at zero, or is it just that the car won't / can't report the SoC? What was the SoC immediately before the accident? Seems unlikely that the charge has all just disappeared, unless there's reason for this then suspect that the individual cells will be fine and it's a BMS / reporting issue.

·
Registered
BMW 300e 2020 model and Leaf 40kW 2019 model
290 Posts
My 2018 Model 3 with long range battery was rear ended on drivers side. The charge port was damaged. Now it’s at zero charge in the body shop. The shop is telling me that if they keep the original battery then the car will not be totaled. I don’t want a car with a damaged battery.

1. will the battery be damaged by sitting at zero ? It’s been 5 days so far.
2. How do I know the battery is safe after the accident?

View attachment 139342 View attachment 139342 View attachment 139343
In Sweden this is a simple insurance claim. No matter how you feel it is up to them and the shop to decide what to change and what not and if the car is safe to drive or not.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Even with the display at zero there is enough charge to do about 10 miles. as long as the car is sleeping any battery use will be neglible.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Even with the display at zero there is enough charge to do about 10 miles. as long as the car is sleeping any battery use will be neglible.
Sadly thats not true. Its totally unreliable and while some have gone way past 0, others have run out even with a few miles showing. Anyone reading - do not rely on this.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,928 Posts
In Sweden this is a simple insurance claim. No matter how you feel it is up to them and the shop to decide what to change and what not and if the car is safe to drive or not.
With a Tesla it will need to get checked by them if it’s damaged specific areas. Like the charging flap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm only going from my personal experience, having come across a village with all chargers out of action, having used up 3% driving round the 4 unservicable chargers, I had to drive over 6 miles at 40mph to the next charger. I've watched a youTube video where they "ran the cars dry"
But that is with the caveat of it being summer with no rain. I can see that the range would be much reduced if it were raining and much colder conditions.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
258 Posts
Looking at the damage to the wheel alone this is a total lost for me. There is a piece missing from the alloy wheel, don't let anyone tell you that there is no structural damage to rear suspension etc. Lets not forget that this rear panel is not "alone" no one knows what lies under the skin. Rear hit is always the other party fault.... at least in the UK so I will ask for the full money. Don't forget to claim for your personal injury for your neck pain as well 😎

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well done for promoting insurance premium increases.

I’m sure you moan when yours goes up. ;)
Big boys don't cry...Do not assume that everyone is like you

·
Registered
258 Posts
No it isn't.
How come? The law stipulates that you need to maintain safe distance from the vehicle in front of you at any time. So if you fail to do so and smash my car in the rear whose fault it is?
Over the last 30+ years I've been hit from behind 3 times and the insurance never even questioned the accidents. Every time they've paid off within a week and my NCD never been affected because of the other party at fault. The last time was in November 2016 when a VW Transporter rear ended my car with such a force that bended the frame, so due to a structural damage the car was written off.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
How come? The law stipulates that you need to maintain safe distance from the vehicle in front of you at any time. So if you fail to do so and smash my car in the rear whose fault it is?
Over the last 30+ years I've been hit from behind 3 times and the insurance never even questioned the accidents. Every time they've paid off within a week and my NCD never been affected because of the other party at fault. The last time was in November 2016 when a VW Transporter rear ended my car with such a force that bended the frame, so due to a structural damage the car was written off.
What about 'cash for crash', where "less than scrupulous" individuals deliberately pull into the space in front of you and then immediately emergency brake to cause a crash?
Hooray for dash cams.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,665 Posts
Many years ago, my late mother was reversed into by a driver at a junction who’d somehow selected reverse instead of first.

It was all very amicable with regard to the insurance claim until the driver had the bright idea that he’d start to claim that my mother had actually driven into him. No dash cams in those days but fortunately there was a witness who eventually confirmed that he thought the guy had reversed into my mum’s car.

Without that intervention she’d have been on the hook, so it’s still a general principle that you seem to have to prove your innocence if the front of your car is in contact with the rear of another.

She also once arrived very late to a barbecue at my house as she’d collided with a cow that was loose on the road. She was very upset when she arrived, and as I was pushing the worst of the dents out and removing bits of cow from the now considerably bigger panel gaps, my quip that she could have just brought some shop purchased burgers with her like everybody else didn’t seem to improve her mood...

·
Registered
258 Posts
What about 'cash for crash', where "less than scrupulous" individuals deliberately pull into the space in front of you and then immediately emergency brake to cause a crash?
Hooray for dash cams.
Always there is someone who is trying to "beat the system" this is given with every society. I was referring to a normal incident situation without idiots "brake checking" lorries. No one will ever get rid of scammers and as you've said, "Hooray for dash cams".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts