Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the price of a used battery calculated if I want to buyout my battery lease?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,098 Posts
It depends on what car you have an where in the world you are as to if it is even possible to buy out a lease or not. The best bet would probably be to get in touch with the company responsible for battery lease payments and asking them what your options are, and if it is possible to buy out, how much it will cost you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering more about how the value of the used battery will be computed? Is there a set formula based on SOH and life cycle remaining?

·
Registered
17,437 Posts
I was wondering more about how the value of the used battery will be computed? Is there a set formula based on SOH and life cycle remaining?
Depends on the car entirely. Which one are you thinking of?

The Renault RCI lease is rumoured to be 10% depreciation per year - but this hasn't been confirmed yet.

·
Registered
499 Posts
No. There is no simple formula applicable across all geographies and all battery types

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,098 Posts
I don't imagine any of them will be factoring SOH into the equation. Each manufacturer will likely have a 'one size fits all' approach to make it as simple as possible and maybe just discount by the age of the battery.

(Unless of course the health is low enough to justify a claim for a repair/replacement to bring the battery back to good health. In that case I think they may make a more attractive offer to keep you quiet)

As I and others have said though, there's not really a fixed calculation, especially across different manufacturers and countries. The easiest way will definitely be to get in touch with them and let them give you an accurate price (if buyout is possible) once they've checked out your specific situation.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,202 Posts
Your talking about Renault? You cant is the simple answer. You might get to in future but don't pin your hopes on it.

If you've not bought the car yet then don't. You'll be in for a world of pain unless you aim to stay with Renault long term. I've fought with RCI for years to buy out my battery. Eventually chalked it up as a loss and traded the car in on another brand EV right before lockdown. Now RCI are giving me hell, still charging me hire even though they acknowledge I don't own the car now (they even said they would temporarily suspend the hire but then 2 weeks later took it anyway).

What isn't made clear is if you sell a car with Battery hire there is a 2 stage process if you don't use a Renault dealer where if the dealer is unable to submit the second set of paperwork (say because of global pandemic lockdown) then RCI hold YOU still liable. Its a disgrace on RCIs part.

I've now been contacted by numerious ex-Renault owners who said they too have been dragged across the coals for leaving Renault and trading to another brand. In one case RCI carried on taking battery payments for 6 months before grudgingly refunding. BE WARNED!!!!

·
Registered
17,437 Posts
What isn't made clear is if you sell a car with Battery hire there is a 2 stage process if you don't use a Renault dealer where if the dealer is unable to submit the second set of paperwork (say because of global pandemic lockdown) then RCI hold YOU still liable. Its a disgrace on RCIs part.

I've now been contacted by numerious ex-Renault owners who said they too have been dragged across the coals for leaving Renault and trading to another brand. In one case RCI carried on taking battery payments for 6 months before grudgingly refunding. BE WARNED!!!!
As ever, you seem to make a meal of things.

I didn't have any problems selling the previous battery lease Zoe and transferring the lease.

I simply cancelled the direct debit and all was fine.

Oh, and I made money on the car.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,202 Posts
As ever, you seem to make a meal of things.

I didn't have any problems selling the previous battery lease Zoe and transferring the lease.

Good for you. Did you trade the car into Renault?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,261 Posts
I did that (after selling to a Renault dealer) and I was sent a letter by RCI a day later (1st Apr 2020). I didn't receive it until the 12th because of Covid. They want to know why I stopped the DD despite having had the PCP paid (by a Renault dealer). I asked my dealer several times to make sure the battery paperwork had been sent to RCI and finally was told it had been done (can ant of a trust a dealer?).

Fortunately I have proof of who has now got the car in the form of the change of registered owner, the confirmation from RCI of the PCP completion and the dealer's advert of AutoTrader

I've tried several times to add the link to AutoTrader, but it keeps doing something weird. It's on AutoTrader under Renault Zoe 41 kWh (choice of 7) currently 3rd on that list at £15,591. Fresh in Stock at Budgens Renault Telford. You need to click the video link on the blue cover over the car.

So did I. Prices have held up well. Contrary to the naysayers opinions. :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
But RZOC and EvNick said it was coming on 28th Feb 😂😂😂 they said it was 100% confirmed and even made videos about the process /s

·
Zoe Devotee
9,202 Posts
But RZOC and EvNick said it was coming on 28th Feb 😂😂😂 they said it was 100% confirmed and even made videos about the process /s
If anyone anywhere posts something you can "borrow" then make a video about it first you can be a hero! Or a Zero if RCI are involed.

Reactions: MrMoonUK

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,261 Posts
Oh boy, EvNick. Our Mr Raimo can talk for England. His videos could easily be half as long. Can't watch him.

The way I see it is that RCI wanted the dealers to run it, but weren't prepared to compensate them for doing it. It seems like the dealers have told RCI to go back and think about what they're asking.

Reactions: MrMoonUK
1 - 13 of 13 Posts