Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how excess mileage on a battery lease is actually charged? It is charged at the end of the agreement or on a monthly basis?

In a cost saving exercise one might sign up for the 4500 mile lease, do 10500 miles whilst putting some money aside in a savings account (or other investment) and then pay up when it's due, hence the reason for my question.

The overall cost is the same but the payment of the excess is deferred, maths below (excess mileage charge based on Z.E. Flex 8p per mile).

4500 (£59 / month)
Annual cost (£59 x 12) = £708
Excess miles (10500 - 4500) = 6000
Cost of excess (6000 * £0.08) = £480
Total cost (£708 + £480) = £1188

10500 (£99 / month)
Annual cost (£99 x 12) = £1188
Excess miles (10500 - 10500) = 0
Cost of excess (0 * £0.08) = £0
Total cost (£1188+ £0) = £1188

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was asked to report the mileage on my Zoe at the end of the battery lease contract period - mine's annual, believe some are longer. RCI sent out a renewal form well in advance of the renewal. My mileage was still below 4500 which I'd contracted to so no charges made. Not sure how they check that the mileage is correctly reported, I was expecting to have to send a photo of the dash.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I guess it’s not joined up enough so that when Renault service the vehicle they submit to RCI?

Also, I guess if it’s recorded at the end of the lease contract then mine is aligned to the 3 yr PCP so for my 6000 allocated per year I could do 10k, 5k, 3k and have no charges

(As it is i think I’ll be 1k miles over per year -£80 - which I think is the right balance of monthly payment and top ups)

JJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was advised that 4500mi contracts are charged every year and the higher mileage contracts are charged after 3 years. I'm only 18 months in so I can't say whether that's true but I was way over my mileage after year 1 and haven't been contacted at all.

·
Premium Member
11,657 Posts
My understanding (from reading the contract) is that any miles over the contracted total is payable at the end of the period. I am not expecting to pay anything until end of the 3 year term.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,604 Posts
I've never actually heard from anyone who's been charged the excess (that's not to say you won't be, so don't count on that) so no one really knows...

But I too interpreted it as end of contract, which for me is 3 years. The actual contract is for 13500 miles over 3 years, rather than 4500 per year

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I can understand excess miles on the car - but excess miles on the battery is not doing it any harm - They have to provide the battery anyway so getting back a minimum of £1700 for it ain't bad considering it will just switch owners and carry on being billed. My friend has a 13 plate Zoe and their battery is at 87% SOH - but renault have had around £3500 from him in battery money and still not had to touch the pack.

Excess Mileage on a battery seems false economy to me - my next car won't be a car that demands a battery lease.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Would you buy a new iPhone or one in perfect condition but had been used for a year for the same price?

Your friend may have paid Renault £3500 but you don’t say how far he’s driven - he may have only charged it once

JJ

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
He’s done 82,000 miles then that explains why he has a low battery capacity

An 82,000 mile battery is worth way less than a 30,000 mile battery - hence why excess mileage is charges

As the battery gets more miles (more charges) on it then it’s value drops

It’s exactly the same mileage on a car

JJ

·
Registered
814 Posts
considering RCI can't even renew battery leases at the moment I wouldn't bank on being charged. I sent off my paperwork to renew from November in September after they sent it to me, its now February and they haven't taken a payment since November. They just say they have a backlog lol

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
In the battery lease contract paperwork it says excess mileage is charged at 0pence?

If that’s what it says then that’s quite interesting - unless you are on an unlimited mileage contract.

Take a pic

The vehicle value and the battery value are 2 totally different depreciating assets in a lease Zoe so they each have their own additional depreciation costs. Tbh I didn’t look. But I will tomorrow.

JJ

·
Registered
348 Posts
I can see that if the mileage of my R110 increases at the same level I will be approximately 2000 miles over my 7500 miles per annum battery hire agreement. i.e. I underestimated my annual mileage.

Therefore what is my best option:
  1. Stick with my current agreement in the hope that RCI won't charge me for excess mileage.
  2. Stick with my current agreement and expect that I will have to pay the 8p. per mile excess.
  3. Increase agreed annual mileage to 9000 or 10500 and increase monthly payments.
Any other suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well I just sold a battery lease car - I was 9 months into the 3 years PCP with 11.4K on the clock. I had the same on the battery lease and a 4500 agreement, I didn't pay a penny extra. I don't think they even bother to check.

My agreement said 0p anyway - but I will let you know if I ever get a bill from RCI for it - and I will tell you where I told them to shove it if so

1 - 20 of 32 Posts