Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my Zoe back in October and completed all the necessary documents to transfer the battery lease to the new owner.
However the new owner didn’t sign his new lease agreement until a few weeks ago (after I had done some chasing).
RCI are claiming that I am liable for the missed payments since October not the new owner, but I can’t see how I’m liable for the battery lease on a vehicle I don’t own.
Has anyone else been in a similar situation and how was it resolved?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,883 Posts
What date did the new owner put on his lease agreement?

If it lines up with the sale of the vehicle, then RCI should back date his payments.

Getting this sorted might be easier said than done of course.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think he must have dated it when he signed it a few weeks ago, not sure.
The frustrating thing is I know he received the lease documents back in October because RCI cc’d me when they sent them.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,883 Posts
I think he must have dated it when he signed it a few weeks ago, not sure.
The frustrating thing is I know he received the lease documents back in October because RCI cc’d me when they sent them.
Easiest thing is for him to pay you for the difference in battery lease payments and then you pay RCI.

Getting RCI to amend their system will be much harder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would assume that you are / were on the same battery lease tier.
Sorry I don’t understand your point. RCI are saying I’m still liable for the payments up until the new owner signed the battery lease, so the tier wouldn’t have changed.
And the point is I sold my car but RCI are expecting me to pay the battery lease after the car was no longer mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easiest thing is for him to pay you for the difference in battery lease payments and then you pay RCI.

Getting RCI to amend their system will be much harder.
I think you might be right. I’m just hoping the new owner will do the right thing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sadly, this is a thing. I however used RCI to apply some serious pressure so I only had to pay 3 months before the dealer was strong armed into signing the lease.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sadly, this is a thing. I however used RCI to apply some serious pressure so I only had to pay 3 months before the dealer was strong armed into signing the lease.
Mine was a private sale. It’s so frustrating as I completed all the necessary paperwork from RCI but they are still expecting me to pay. And the only reason the new owner signed the new lease (eventually) was because I chased him. RCI have been pretty useless.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You need that battery lease agreement signed and approved by RCI before you sign over the V5. Just FYI for the future. Then you avoid silly situations like this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine was a private sale. It’s so frustrating as I completed all the necessary paperwork from RCI but they are still expecting me to pay. And the only reason the new owner signed the new lease (eventually) was because I chased him. RCI have been pretty useless.
That's a real shame. I just made myself a pest and asked them to write to the new owner threatening to disable the car. I guess it depends who you get on the day.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,171 Posts
It is a difficult one but I assume the liability must rest with the party that was negligent (not you). There should be something in the small print of the lease agreement which covers this. Ask for a copy of this in the first instance. My guess is that if the worst comes to the worst, you may need to sue one or both of the other parties.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,171 Posts
Yes, I would, in the small claims court if the guilty party doesn't pay up. Read the contract first then write a couple of letters asking for the money you are out.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Who hands over their details when buying a car privately? 🤪

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,863 Posts
From my experience RCI and Renault UK are not reputable companies when it comes to dealing with 'facts'. Don't expect any help from RCI whatsoever to remedy the situation. Just go to the buyer directly and say 'hey, I've been paying your battery rental which is £X, please pay it to me, thanks'. If they don't, sue them if it pains you to have lost that money so much.

Renault have to offer ever cheapening cars to overcome how much they p!ssed of previous customers to ever buy again from them. I think Brexit will see that they withdraw from UK, as far as I can tell it is only propped up by virtue of the invisible state aid that France Gov gives them (which they seem to have stolen off the Renault family, besides, but French Gov put in legislation to stop them taking it to court).

I have had lots of Renaults over the years. I will never have another if I have a choice about it.

·
Registered
MY15 Q210 and an MY18 R110
320 Posts
How many times we are going to go round this same issue.

I really really REALLY don't want to be on the side of RCI but if you signed a lease agreement with them and didn't understand all of the clauses then that isn't RCI's fault.
Just assuming it will all be fine in an ideal world is not the way to prove you are right.

Quick question: If I turned up with cash to buy your car and then filled in a load of rubbish on the lease and the V5 how does that make it RCI's issue?

Even though I was well aware of the potential problem I still got caught for three months extra payments on my first car due to the buyer not signing the paperwork. It was my fault for not making the buyer sign an independent contract for the lease costs from the point of sale.

We've been here far too many times. Is there some way for a mod to create a sticky post stating what anyone with a lease needs to be aware of?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,863 Posts
How many times we are going to go round this same issue.

I really really REALLY don't want to be on the side of RCI but if you signed a lease agreement with them and didn't understand all of the clauses then that isn't RCI's fault.
There are two view points to that. Yes, it says it in the contract. But is it fair?

You can sell a car, or even give it over to a dealer, and if they don't play their part fairly then you get screwed?

There is a responsibility to create contracts which are fair, not ones that 'get one over' on one party to the exclusive benefit of the other.

I am not saying that term is 'not fair', it'd be for someone else to argue, just pointing out that I could see that such reasonable arguments (that this is not fair) is possible here. The issue I am raising is that RCI don't seem to respond to 'reasonable arguments', they like to assert a position and stick to it, however illogical and indefensible it may end up becoming.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts