1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New ZE50 lease on Zen Auto:
1x £1500, 35x £198

Used ZE40 PCP from Renault dealer:
1x £1500, 35x £240 inc £59 battery lease (extrapolated from a 31mo PCP for comparison purposes)

Admittedly, even without the battery lease, the ZE40 would be £180/month - but I don’t see how the battery lease ZE40 market is sustainable.

Unless of course, all ZE40s are bought by folks of a certain age who have always bought their cars cash... and that demographic is finite & ever decreasing ;)

Tldr Renault need to buy out the ZE40 batteries if they want a hope of selling these things in the medium-long term.

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
Unless of course, all ZE40s are bought by folks of a certain age who have always bought their cars cash... and that demographic is finite & ever decreasing ;)
I don't think it is just an age thing as a 30s couple I know don't like buying cars on finance so pay "cash". Maybe they would compromise on owning the car but not the battery?

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
766 Posts
It's not that unusual that a brand new car from the likes of carwow or drive the deal is cheaper than a second hand one a year or more old from a main dealer forecourt. Dealer forecourt prices are often eye watering, they do seem to rely on a certain demographic who think that by buying a 1 or 2 year old car then they have avoided a lot of depreciation, but they fail to account for the huge discounts you can often get on new cars. In their mind they see list price £22K, 18 month old price £16k, ergo they've saved £6k for what is still (to them) a fairly new car.
My parents think like this I know others do too.
Add that to the relatively high aprs on many dealer pcps and it also adds up.
Same applies to lease companies who buy these cars new at huge discounts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just paid £11k cash for a 2018 ZE40 Q90 with battery lease. I'll keep it till it dies. Already have a 2015 ZE20 R90. Both battery lease, both extended warranty.

I think it's great value but maybe I'm a lunatic :D

Edit: I'm also 39 so I don't know how that figures in your "certain age" estimations...

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t personally see the point in paying a monthly fee in addition to £11k up front, but each to their own... 😁

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It's a slightly odd comparison, since it's a used PCP which means a hopelessly pessimistic GFV and a ridiculously high APR.

I reckon the used ZE40 would work out cheaper in terms of depreciation and battery rental still if you could avoid finance costs, but probably not a huge amount in it.
All depends on how well they continue to hold their value over the next few years.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Makes sense in warranty terms :)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
To pay £79 a month to be limited to 7500miles a year that seems absolutely ludicrous in my mind. By the time the battery needs replacing youll have probably paid for a new car let alone a new battery.
To put it into perspective the battery will probably do minimum of 100.000miles before it gets close to needing replacement by which time you will have paid £12,324 in battery rental going by the maximum permitted mileage of 7500 a year if you do less than that then it'll last longer and youll pay even more.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Battery lease is only £59/mo, I got £79/mo by adding in the extended warranty cost too.

We do probably 1,000-2,000mi a year per car.

Honestly I just think of it as a fixed outlay to keep a car going. The 20kWh Zoe has held its value great since I got it, and I expect the same from the ZE40.

Some people spend hundreds a month on PCP deals where you're generally limited to 10k/yr anyways. I don't see how this is worse tbh.

It's quite possible I could save money buying out the battery... but then the battery is my problem. That's what I don't want.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,566 Posts
Those are pre-reg and are 70 plates registered in December last year and I have one on order (although 1+23 @ £254 for 8k inc metallic paint) and hopefully being delivered next week. Seemed a reasonable deal to ‘dip my toes’ in EV ownership.
A very good place to start - you won't be disappointed.

Just watch out for the wheel spins in the wet because of all the power!

·
Registered
84 Posts
A very good place to start - you won't be disappointed.
Never even having sat in one, I certainly hope not.

Just watch out for the wheel spins in the wet because of all the power!
Yes I have heard that, and it seems really odd that a manufacturer of a mass-market family car would not fix such a fault before releasing it to the market.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,566 Posts
Yes I have heard that, and it seems really odd that a manufacturer of a mass-market family car would not fix such a fault before releasing it to the market.
Every car I’ve owned can spin up a wheel in the wet.

You have to drive accordingly, modulating the throttle.

Next you’ll be wanting a car that doesn’t crash. ;)

·
Registered
VW eGolf
408 Posts
Even if you skipped their PCP - if you’ve got £1500 to put down then borrowing the rest on a Tesco loan at 3% over 5 years is £151.59pm. Battery lease at £59 gives £210.59.

You can make the case for used if you’re looking longer term. Do a cheap lease over and over and a decade of motoring costs £28k or so. Buy the used one, pay it off then keep paying the battery lease and it’s just over £16k. Even with tyres, servicing, the odd bigger repair you’ll save £10k at least. And that’s assuming you can lease something suitable for similar money over and over, and conversely assuming a ze40 still meets you needs (and faster AC public charging hasn’t died out entirely by then).

Sensible approach today is probably to buy a lightly used / ex-demo ZE50 with CCS for just over £20k (or a e208, Corsa, etc) l, borrow over as long as you can cheaply (again, Tesco can do £20k over 7 years at 3.8%, so about £270pm) and in the latter years it’s a free car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Every car I’ve owned can spin up a wheel in the wet.
I am sure it might be theoretically possible in some mass-market cars, but it isn't going to be anything the average owner is ever going to experience.

You have to drive accordingly, modulating the throttle.
Most mass-market cars you don't even have to think about it, so if you do have to specifically consider adapting your driving style then the design is faulty.

Next you’ll be wanting a car that doesn’t crash. ;)
You mean modern cars with ABS, ESC, lane departure warning, predictive braking, etc.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,815 Posts
I don’t understand this comparison. Lease vs a pcp that’s probably not a great deal. What’s the price of the car, what would other loan options be. Leasing just doesn’t work for some. I couldn’t make any of the maths work, those good prices always seems to be based on a much lower annual mileage than I need, for example. It’s also complicated if you have no idea what your annual mileage will be. Go low and potentially pay a big penalty or go high and potentially spend more than you need.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sensible approach today is probably to buy a lightly used / ex-demo ZE50 with CCS for just over £20k (or a e208, Corsa, etc) l, borrow over as long as you can cheaply (again, Tesco can do £20k over 7 years at 3.8%, so about £270pm) and in the latter years it’s a free car.
The most sensible approach if you want a ZE50 with CCS is to wait another two years for the depreciation to kick in fully, then buy a 2019 and snag the extended warranty on it.

That being said you are still limited to 8 years warranty on the battery. If it fails at 8yr 1day what's the replacement cost? Even at a HEVRA garage it's not going to be cheap...Back on my soapbox here :D but that's why I like the battery lease...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts