Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a new Zoe ZE40 but I'm debating whether to lease the battery or buy it outright.

The only reason I would not want the battery lease is that after 10+ years or so (time I hope to own the car for) whenever I decide to get rid of the car or part exchange it, the lease would not really help in terms of selling because by then there is no point of the lease as no other cars would do it. I don't like the idea of having a battery lease and not being able to buy it out afterwards.

I feel like the lease will be a pain to get rid of when the car is at its end for me.

Also if I do buy the battery outright and something happens to it after the 8 year warranty, then what? I'd have to pay some ridiculous fee to get a new battery or something? There's just too many unknowns for me right now.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Battery likely will outlast the car.

If you're worried about the warranties. Buy outright, extend the warranty for £289/year for the WHOLE Car up to 10 years/100k miles after year 3.

Other option, if you have dead battery fears, buy one now (around £18.5k new) with battery owned, sell it in 5 years for 14-15k.

Either way, specially if you do sub 10k miles, lease is always more expensive than just buying the equivalent petrol car. You only save running costs in the owned version (or leased version and 20k+ miles a year)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I understand that. But I am a very simple person, I like the Zoe as it is and the range and power of the current Zoe is totally fine for me at the moment and even in the long term it won't be a big deal for me.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
What sort of mileage?

Over as long as 10yrs, the lease makes little sense, but I would not be buying a Zoe at £22k...you could probably bring that down to £20k using CarWow, but still think that's pretty expensive for a Zoe...

I went for a used battery owned one. Mine is two years old (66-plate) and had 5,000mi on it. Looks brand new. You can get them today for around £16,500, and then can use finance deposit contributions to get it to around £16/15.5k.

It will still have 6yrs on the battery warranty, and then you can extend the warranty on the car from year 5-10 for £289 per year. This won't cover the battery though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd definitely be doing < 4,500 annually. I did use carwow to get those figures. I should have mentioned those figures are for the S Edition model.

I went for a test drive yesterday and I really liked the S Edition :)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'd definitely be doing < 4,500 annually. I did use carwow to get those figures. I should have mentioned those figures are for the S Edition model.

Oh OK, then yes that's about the right price.

At <4,500 it really does depend on how long you want to keep it, and if you are happy to risk a change in circumstances that might mean higher mileage in the future.

Personally, at those kind of prices I would sit tight and wait to see what comes out in the next year. The Gen 2 Zoe will not be a million miles off that price, and other cars will probably be coming in around the £25-28k mark that will have considerable advantages over the current Zoe.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I think it'll be worth almost zero after that time anyway, as everything else will be 300 miles plus, so probably best to go battery owned as I can imagine shifting a lease Zoe will be even harder than it is now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes those are the same concerns I have with the whole battery lease thing.

I don't think I'm all that interested in the Gen 2 Zoe, especially if they change the interior. There's just something nice about the current interior that I really like. Also the only benefit for me would be fast charging which isn't even that big of a deal for me.

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's an interesting time with a new model coming out, as we get closer to the change over time there could be some good reductions on the old stock as they try to sell it off before the new model comes out. If you wait though you risk the current model not being available, especially with right hand drive. Presumably dealers will want to sell off their demo cars with low mileage once the new model is revealed, but I guess most of those will be battery rental models.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It's an interesting time with a new model coming out, as we get closer to the change over time there could be some good reductions on the old stock as they try to sell it off before the new model comes out. If you wait though you risk the current model not being available, especially with right hand drive. Presumably dealers will want to sell off their demo cars with low mileage once the new model is revealed, but I guess most of those will be battery rental models.
It's almost like the reverse has happened with what you expect with any other car model...!

When the model was first released back in 2017, discounted prices for the i-model ZE40 were around the £16k mark. As demand has increased and PICG cut, we have seen these discounts dial back, to where in the middle of 2018 it was about £17k, and now in 2019 we are at about £20k.

As such, any new buyers today are potentially buying at the absolute peak, which obviously is not advisable...!

As you say, it will be interesting if there is a dip right before the release of the new Gen 2 model, however it's unlikely to last long as they have been awfully quiet about the release of the next model. Presumably to not upset current sales...

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
If you're worried about the warranties. Buy outright, extend the warranty for £289/year for the WHOLE Car up to 10 years/100k miles after year 3.
The extended warranty does NOT cover the battery. There is no option with Renault to extend the warranty on an owned battery.

We also don't know how ZE40 batteries will age yet as oldest cars are late 2016. Hopefully with better cooling they will do better than Leaf :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
I can imagine shifting a lease Zoe will be even harder than it is now.
Battery rental cars really aren't hard to sell at present - used ZE40s fly off the forecourt! Also, used prices on 22kWh have increased over past year.

For a second car a 300 mile range is overkill and there will continue to be a used market for 100 mile local runabouts.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Also the only benefit for me would be fast charging which isn't even that big of a deal for me.
There's rumours that the new Zoe will have active cruise & active lane keeping to satisfy NCAP, so if driving manually isn't your thing, this could be a selling point :)

Battery rental cars really aren't hard to sell at present
I know - I wrote a thread on it ;) Still harder than getting rid of a battery owned one.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
IMO if you have the capital then buy battery owned. That way: you're not stuck paying a lease forever; you're not holding back on driving it to try and stay within the mileage band you've chosen (or because you're acutely aware it's costing 8p/mile, unless you're paying through the nose for unlimited); you don't have to worry about finding an insurer that understands the situation; you don't have the gradually increasing difficulty of selling second hand (it's not a problem right now though); you don't have to worry about how to fulfil contractual obligations to return the battery if you want to scrap the car, etc.

Downsides are you don't get the breakdown cover so would have to buy your own (so factor that cost in, and believe me, Zoes do break down), and of course after the battery warranty (8 years? Not sure I just saw a document saying 5 years or 60k miles?) you're on your own if the battery dies or suffers heavy degradation, but this isn't looking too likely.

Only reason I didn't, even second hand, is I didn't have the capital (and couldn't have easily stomached splashing that much out on a car, which I know is psychological really), nor the montly budget to lease the whole car, and am allergic to debt. Second hand battery leased model was an easy step into this to me. And as I don't drive too many thousands of miles it still works out a lower TCO unless I keep it for something like 8 years which I find unlikely due to the Betamaxed charging standard. I'll be keeping an eye on the situation - at the moment there's no problem selling them.

I'm like you, on paper I'd probably be happy with it for a decade because I don't go long distance often and when I do I don't mind stopping off for half an hour - 40 minutes to charge every 60 miles or so (and for super long distance I'd just get the train). But admittedly that's not the reason I'd go for battery owned, it's more what I wrote in the first paragraph. In reality I can't see myself keeping it for that long - one reason being the charging standard, and the other being that having had 2 major repairs to the PEC (or components around it) in the course of a year doesn't fill me with confidence in its reliability and that I wouldn't face a beyond-economical-repair writeoff the moment the max. 10 year warranty extension runs out. So I'll probably sell before it's 10 years old. But I will be monitoring both situations.

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts

I agree you may want to wait for new Zoe and perhaps in meanwhile rent one from EVEZY?

New model will be more expensive (less discounts), but will have a lot more features and safety as standard.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts