Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My e-Niro is on its way and should be here soon!

In the meantime, I have a lot to catch up on in terms of EV learning. Maybe everyone has already seen this, so apologies if you have, but I came across this website:

A-Z, Components

A-Z, Battery Safety

A-Z, Charging

A-Z, Green Vehicles

One Charge, Longer Range

Press Release, Heat Pumps

In it I found this piece of text regarding battery life which I thought made interesting reading:

'If the charging pattern is such that the entire battery is exhausted and recharged to full, the battery can be used for 1,000 charges; if the battery is used to half(50%) and recharged, 5,000 charges; if one-fifth of the battery is used(20%) and recharged, 8,000 charges. Meaning, if the Soul Booster EV is driven for 77 kilometers a day(equivalent to the 20% of the max driving distance) and recharged every night, the battery can last for 8,000 days(22 years).'

Perhaps that text is just taken from the owner's manual.

Then there was this graph on heating versus range which I found curious:

As I said, perhaps everyone has seen this stuff before but I thought I would post it all just in case...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Then there was this graph on heating versus range which I found curious:
View attachment 132433

As I said, perhaps everyone has seen this stuff before but I thought I would post it all just in case...
Interesting on the effects of heating. Note that the e-Niro at 10% reduction has a heat pump (much more efficient) whereas I think the BMW i3 at 42% reduction only has a heat pump as an optional extra,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting on the effects of heating. Note that the e-Niro at 10% reduction has a heat pump (much more efficient) whereas I think the BMW i3 at 42% reduction only has a heat pump as an optional extra,
I guess then that this is using the version without the heat pump as the comparison.

They do seem to have an obsession with heat pumps on this website, It sort of suggests that they are really proud of their heat pump solution. I guess these numbers reflect their showing off about how good it is - which is fine.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
496 Posts
.. which is why I ticked the heat pump box ..

Indeed there is an optimal cycle depth for LiIon batteries and I'm curious to see what it is. I realise that full 100->0->100 cycles are not optimal, but I think the gains from reducing the cycling depth much beyond only ever using 50% of the battery capacity are probably not worth it, both in terms of the battery lifetime energy transfer potential versus the additional time spent changing state between "charging" and "not charging". (i.e. how often you have to go get the cables out!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts