Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently made contact with an Ampera technician at Bellinger's Grove site. His name is Steven (nicknamed Spin). I told him that my 2012 Electron (100k miles) has for the first time not accepted a charge (no green light on the dash, just the amber light). He advised me to check the battery pack coolant level. According to him, the fluid should be just below a label on the reservoir. Mine was low. He told me to top up with de-ionised water...it took a 1/3 of a litre.
I haven't tried to charge yet as my cable is being repaired at the moment...£70 for a new trigger.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
You sure he didn't say a mix of Dexcool and de-ionised water?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He definitely didn't mention Dexcool. Have you had your coolant changed? Until recently I was under the clear impression that changing the coolant required dis-connecting the battery pack... and should only be done by an Ampera technician. The only such accredited mechanic in Ireland quit his job in January. Joanne Heels in the main Vauxhall office told me they were considering either paying my ferry costs to get the car to Scotland or sending a technician to Belfast (where the diagnostic equipment still sits).
She came back to me recently to say they had decided to downgrade their requirements... and that any mechanic with basic EV training can do the job. Odd, eh?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
He definitely didn't mention Dexcool. Have you had your coolant changed? Until recently I was under the clear impression that changing the coolant required dis-connecting the battery pack... and should only be done by an Ampera technician. The only such accredited mechanic in Ireland quit his job in January. Joanne Heels in the main Vauxhall office told me they were considering either paying my ferry costs to get the car to Scotland or sending a technician to Belfast (where the diagnostic equipment still sits).
She came back to me recently to say they had decided to downgrade their requirements... and that any mechanic with basic EV training can do the job. Odd, eh?
You should check out a post from @donald who recommends removing an amount of fluid from the header tank and replacing with fresh pre-mixed Dexcool. If done regularly this will replace the coolant over a year or so without actually draining it.
Just ensure that the car is powered off as lowering it below the sensor will cause a low level alarm to be sensed which is not very easy to get cancelled unless taken to a dealer.

It is generally accepted that the coolant has an unstressed life being designed for much higher temperatures in a dirtier environment but replacement this way will help to ensure the coolant is as pure as possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
Russ
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing