Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SpeakEV-Community,

currently I am trying to get deeper insights into EVs. What I could not find out until now is: Who is the Battery Pack Manufacturer for which car?

Do the car brands themselves put the batteries together? Is it the battery company? Does it differ from brand to brand and model to model?

If anyone knows more, I would be glad if you would let me know.

Kind regards,
Kevin H

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Quite a few are built by LG, Nissan produce their own, Saft / Johnson have made a fair number , some with LG cells.
The Cell blocks I am selling are from a UK vehicle maker but packs made in Korea.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Don't forget about Tesla. They are never in news ever and really need to be talked about. After all someone may be looking for investment tips.
Investment tips? Mine is to keep as many tins of beans and as many pot noodles under your bed as possible, their value can only go up in the next few years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Kevin,
I don't check all the battery pack integrator but see below a list for few EV models:
BMW i3 : BMW
Chevrolet Bolt : LG
Hyundai Ioniq : Hyundai
Nissan Leaf : AESC
Renault Zoe : Renault
Tesla Model S, X, 3 : Tesla
Mercedes B250e : Tesla
Smart ED : Deutsche Accumotive

·
Super Moderator
11,527 Posts
Nissan Leaf : AESC

AESC is a joint venture between Nissan and NEC. Nissan own 51% of AESC.

The AESC plant in Zama Japan is closed. Two AESC-Nissan plants in Tennessee and Sunderland build batteries and battery modules for world wide production of Nissan EVs.

Packs for LEAF are assembled at Sunderland and Smyrna. Packs for the eNV-200 are assembled at a Nissan plant in Spain using modules from Sunderland.

Nissan cut a deal with GSR capital to sell AESC and all three battery plants for about $1bn. The deal fell through two months ago after GSR couldn't find the money. Nissan are still looking for a buyer.

This might impact the upcoming LEAF ePlus which is rumoured to use LG cells.

Nissan calls off potential $1 billion sale of battery unit to...

Company Overview|Automotive Energy Supply Corporation

Deal that could have expanded battery plant at Nissan Sunderland collapses

Nissan Motor Iberica SA (NMISA), Barcelona

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,627 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
@andrew*debbie you are right, my comment is only valid for the current version of Nissan leaf with cells provided by AESC.
For the Nissan Leaf e-plus i assume that LG will provide the cells and made the integration of the pack also.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
AUGUST 3, 2018

Nissan agrees to sell car battery unit to China's Envision Group

Nissan Motor Co said on Friday it agreed to sell its electric car battery unit to Chinese renewable energy firm Envision Group for an undisclosed sum.

The announcement comes after Nissan canceled a potential $1 billion sale of the unit to GSR Capital last month, saying the Chinese investment firm lacked the funds to make the purchase.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts