Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a Countryman PHEV (ex-demo 5,000 miles on the clock).

I charged it up for the second time today and the connected app shows 100% fully charged but a range of 15Miles

I thought the range should (at the start ) be something like 22mile

Or is it doing some clever maths based on the electric range over the life of the battery and so far and so it is juts showing that on average due to poor driving the range has only been 15miles.

So I guess I am asking if I should be worried or will it improve over time

I don't see any way of getting a battery health reading anywhere

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have just bought a Countryman PHEV (ex-demo 5,000 miles on the clock).

I charged it up for the second time today and the connected app shows 100% fully charged but a range of 15Miles

I thought the range should (at the start ) be something like 22mile

Or is it doing some clever maths based on the electric range over the life of the battery and so far and so it is juts showing that on average due to poor driving the range has only been 15miles.

So I guess I am asking if I should be worried or will it improve over time

I don't see any way of getting a battery health reading anywhere
Hi Jon, welcome to the club! The range, like all EVs, will vary depending on previous journeys. Most importantly, the weather plays a BIG part. In the winter, range suffers badly because you've got lights, heating, wipers on and the battery and motor need to be warm to work efficiently. You can eek out a bit more by making sure you pre-condition the battery, which you should definitely do as there is nothing like jumping straight into your warm and toasty car flicking the Vs at your neighbours scraping their windscreens ?. The good news is that the range will improve when the weather warms up. Use in green mode around town and you can glide around without denting the range cursing other drivers who keep hitting the brakes for no reason. I've rarely got past 20 miles though...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jon, welcome to the club! The range, like all EVs, will vary depending on previous journeys. Most importantly, the weather plays a BIG part. In the winter, range suffers badly because you've got lights, heating, wipers on and the battery and motor need to be warm to work efficiently. You can eek out a bit more by making sure you pre-condition the battery, which you should definitely do as there is nothing like jumping straight into your warm and toasty car flicking the Vs at your neighbours scraping their windscreens ?. The good news is that the range will improve when the weather warms up. Use in green mode around town and you can glide around without denting the range cursing other drivers who keep hitting the brakes for no reason. I've rarely got past 20 miles though...
Thanks a lot for this reply, forums are a great way to share “real” information.
This all makes sense to me. I completely neglected the lights,heater, cold issue.
I am loving the tech on board although there is a lot to take in. My wife is already sick of me talking about it all.
I was surprised that the regenerative braking does not seem to actually act as a brake, I borrowed a Tesla for a while and I recall that you hardly pressed the brakes at all.
I eagerly await the first frozen morning for the reasons you stated

Thanks again

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks a lot for this reply, forums are a great way to share “real” information.
This all makes sense to me. I completely neglected the lights,heater, cold issue.
I am loving the tech on board although there is a lot to take in. My wife is already sick of me talking about it all.
I was surprised that the regenerative braking does not seem to actually act as a brake, I borrowed a Tesla for a while and I recall that you hardly pressed the brakes at all.
I eagerly await the first frozen morning for the reasons you stated

Thanks again
I've had my MINI for just over a year and I'm still talking about the tech with anyone who shows an interest! It took me a while to figure it all out, I don't think the switches and controls are as intuitive as they could be. Plus my MINI likes to randomly change whatever is on the central display every time I start it up...the updated CarPlay seems to have helped this though. There are plenty of quirks to discover, I think I read somewhere that the battery doesn't recharge if it's more than 80% full so if you're looking to max out the neutrons it's probably best to start in Green mode. I might have made that up though.

I find the engine braking to be quite aggressive in Sport mode, I rarely need to use the brakes. The Tesla must be even more harsh, I haven't driven one so can't compare.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking forward to some decent drives over the next few days to discover more. If I can try your patience I have a couple of questions regarding Climatisation.

When I turn climatisation on I would have expected to see some prompt to select a temperature in the cabin. Or does it use the last used setting from the dash ? Ie if I had the car at 18 degrees when get out at the end of the day, and then set climatisation on for the morning, will it aim to heat the cabin to 18. The reason I ask is that in the summer you might want to pre-cool the car.

The second question relates to setting climate via the iPhone app. I can use this app to unlock / lock and set the light but the climatise and charge & climatisation just doesnt seem to transmit to the car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Easy one first! Yes, it warms/cools using the temperature setting in the cabin. Make sure you have a/c on and set to Auto.

I find the App a bit flaky. Mostly it works fine but sometimes it just doesn't want to play ball. The 'climatise now' takes a while to transmit, and for me using unlock or lights on takes ages to activate on the car so I don't use them. If these features are working, it sounds like everything is set up correctly but I found connecting your phone to the car via USB was needed to get everything working when I first set it up. Maybe try that?

Also, I assume you have the newer model which has built-in 4G? The first models didn't and don't have the App functionality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, that is one more thing off the list !
Strange, unlock and lock or lights are a really quick. From the App the Climate stuff worked yesterday but has stopped working now. I will set up again using USB as you suggest

1 - 7 of 7 Posts