Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
This was the report Nikki was working from on Transport Evolved. I don't know about everyone else, but I only normally charge to 80%, saving 100% before a long trip (which ain't happening any time soon). I usually do cell balancing once a month but shall put that on hold for now.

·
Registered
361 Posts
This article - also from InsideEVs contains the complete statement from LG Energy Solutions. Both sides still blaming each other. However, credit to Hyundai for planning to replace ALL afected battery packs!

John.

Reactions: Gadget Geek

·
Registered
35 Posts
The recall starts on March 29th 2021, but it will take some time to roll out completely.
1: They have to make 80,000+ new batteries and they have to makes sure the problem doesn't happen again.
2: The logistics alone is a nightmare. The batteries are classed as Hazmat, and can only be surface freighted.
3: Dealers need to be supplied with the lifting hoist and some other kit.
4: It still hasn't been decided who will pay the most, LG or Hyundai

Since no vehicles have caught fire that use the SK batteries, the ideal scenario would be to fit SK batteries rather than LG. However SK are banned in the USA for now, after they lost a court case started by LG for patent infringements.

I only home charge to 80% so I'm not in the least worried. The chance of a fire is 0.018% So Hyundai have really gone all out to protect their reputation.

·
Registered
Kona 2020
15 Posts
The recall starts on March 29th 2021, but it will take some time to roll out completely.
1: They have to make 80,000+ new batteries and they have to makes sure the problem doesn't happen again.
2: The logistics alone is a nightmare. The batteries are classed as Hazmat, and can only be surface freighted.
3: Dealers need to be supplied with the lifting hoist and some other kit.
4: It still hasn't been decided who will pay the most, LG or Hyundai

Since no vehicles have caught fire that use the SK batteries, the ideal scenario would be to fit SK batteries rather than LG. However SK are banned in the USA for now, after they lost a court case started by LG for patent infringements.

I only home charge to 80% so I'm not in the least worried. The chance of a fire is 0.018% So Hyundai have really gone all out to protect their reputation.
So, maybe there are surplus SK batteries for us in Europe:cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Ioniq manufacturing dates (supposedly) were "Ioniq Electric: Vehicles manufactured from May 2, 2019 to November 30, 2019".

This was from the Korean-language posting a few days ago. Not sure if Kona would be the same, or whether the different capacity means that it would be different.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I saw (here perhaps) that one or other of the door jams has a sticker with manufacture date printed on it. I don't have a car to check that, however.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,131 Posts
This thread might be of help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts