Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw on the Golf GTE Facebook page that the battery recall previously only for the Mk 7 models, is now available for the Mk7.5 facelift variants.

The link below is to the Australian VW service page, which when I tried a couple of months ago said there were no recalls for my car, but now showing the battery recall:

Will be getting this booked in as soon as possible. Any ideas on what constitutes a complete battery replacement under the recall?

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If water has made it into the battery pack, it will be replaced. There's a pic going around somewhere of an Audi e-tron battery with moisture ingress. It's not pretty! But you will get a new battery if any damage has occurred, at VW's expense, as long as the car is within 8yr/100k miles (possibly outside of this too but you might have a battle.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information.

Seen that the battery recall on Facelift cars has also been mentioned as part of another battery thread on the forum. Apologies for the duplicate information.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I think the total number of cars requiring complete battery replacements is very low.
When my car went in for the check, the dealer had already done 11 cars.
Only one required SOME of the cells replacing, the remained had either new cases fitted or just split and resealed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the VIN checker. Cant find anywhere on the UK site though.
Checked mine, got the following:

VIN o_O
Service Campaign/Recall Number 93F7
Commencement Date 20/02/2020
Service Campaign/Recall Description S-Sealing high-voltage battery P+/N+/Q
Repair Date Status (Complete or Outstanding) Outstanding

Wouldn't it be nice if they fitted a MK8 Battery Pack(y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just received a phone call from VW confirming that my GTE is part of the battery recall. May have been highlighted to them when I ran the VIN check posted at the beginning of the thread.

Have it booked in during the half term Easter break so will be interesting to see what they say.

I'd recommend other owners doing a quick VIN check to see if they are affected as I'm sure there will be a backlog now it has been extended to facelift models. Also there aren't many dealers in the UK who can deal with the battery so may be a while before you get seen.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've checked my VIN (2017, 67 Plate Mk7.5) and it too needs this.

Service Campaign/Recall Number93F7
Commencement Date20/02/2020
Service Campaign/Recall DescriptionS-Sealing high-voltage battery P+/N+/Q

My car is a lease so i'll get it booked in ASAP.

Update - I've done a live chat with VW UK and given them my reg. They've confirmed the information from the VW Australia VIN Checker that my car has an outstanding recall under campaign 93F7. I can call any VW garage and get it booked in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've checked my VIN (2017, 67 Plate Mk7.5) and it too needs this.

Service Campaign/Recall Number93F7
Commencement Date20/02/2020
Service Campaign/Recall DescriptionS-Sealing high-voltage battery P+/N+/Q

My car is a lease so i'll get it booked in ASAP.

Update - I've done a live chat with VW UK and given them my reg. They've confirmed the information from the VW Australia VIN Checker that my car has an outstanding recall under campaign 93F7. I can call any VW garage and get it booked in.
I doubt you can go to any VW dealer. It will have to be one with a GTE trained tech. I had initially got mine booked in with a dealer to sort out my ongoing (and annoying) suspension creak that another dealer hasn't fully resolved after 3 tries, and was told that the recall couldn't happen there. Would have to be somewhere with the correct tech on staff. They won't touch the battery if not fully trained.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine needs the same. UK car, registered 30/04/2018.
Does anybody know what "S-Sealing high-voltage battery P+/N+/Q" actually means?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi, so mine went in for its 2nd service and I specifically mentioned the 93F7 recall and they said it would be done. Car was dropped off 9AM picked up at 5PM. I was told everything had been done, no issues. When I got home I noticed there's no mention of the recall on the service record printout. Looking back at last year's record it specifically lists "carried out recall 88a2". Now I am not sure they even did the 93F7 recall on mine.

Did you guys get any written confirmation when yours was done?
Is there any way for an owner to physically confirm on the car that they actually did the recall?
Was it done in the space of a day? I didn't notice any activity on the car until around 2PM, so I'm suspicious they haven't done it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
When my car went in for the HV battery recall, I was told it was very likely it WOULD be completed in the same day.
The car was with them for a few days because of the distance I had to travel.
From memory I about 90% sure there was an entry in the back of the service book stating that the battery check had been done.
I don’t believe there is anyway that YOU can find any entry through the info system in the car that report its status.
It was VW customer services who contacted me direct by phone when the car needed checking, so they must have a record of the work.
The dealer will be sending the bill to VW I guess ?.
They drop the HV pack, split the the case and check for water ingress.
They will inspect the case and replace IF necessary.
Otherwise, they will just reseal rebuild and refit.
Given the amount that has been done by now, I think they could do this work in half a day by now.
Rinse and repeat !.
If you have concerns that the work has NOT been carried out, ask the dealer to print you off the history of the work carried out on the day.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I asked the dealer for confirmation that the battery had been replaced and got a warranty invoice with this specifically mentioned as "Diagnose HV system fault. Replace HV battery pack under HV warranty."

·
Registered
65 Posts
I booked mine in for an oil service and dsg oil change back in February to be carried out in March. It was also booked in for the battery recall.

Vw cancelled all non essential servicing except for key workers which my wife is.

Most of the garages are staff limited due to social distancing rules and they were only able to do the oil changes for my GTE. The battery recall would have to be rebooked in, there was no staff to even the valet the car.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My dealer likes to send a video of the basic inspections they do under the car, so I'll ask them to if they can include the inside of the HV battery in this.

Has the Aus VIN checker stopped working for everyone?
To look inside the HV battery is an hours long operation which involves safely discharging the battery, lowering it and removing the cover.
You don't mess around with a 400V Li-Ion battery!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts