Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have recently put down a deposit on a 2017 ioniq ev. The dealership have ran some diagnostic test on the battery and are showing me the results tomorrow.

What should I look out for? Has anybody experience of looking at these tests?

The car seems fine and drives well. It's got 36000 miles on it.

I haven't ran any OBD2 test on it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
You may be able to get battery voltages from Torque, EV NOTIFY gives basic information. One simple test is to see what a fully charged range in summer is, i get 142 miles and have done for the last 3 summers. You could look at the history screen which shows the recent efficiency of the driving and how far it was driven, up to 5.4 on 100 mile motorway drive, but temperature dependant so are you north or south UK?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in the Republic of Ireland. Have to drive for three hours tomorrow to pick the ioniq up.

I am a little bit concerned about the SOH as the salesman told me it's 97% but hasn't sent me the proof of this. He is taking me through the test tomorrow. Can he prove this or is he talking rubbish?

I have been trying to buy an electric car all summer. This one is the best so far. Salesmen haven't a clue about EVs.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
On my Ioniq with 29,000 miles EV NOTIFY shows the battery at 100%. A Kona at 60,000 miles had a battery report at 100% and still fine.

Also EV NOTIFY showed 100% for them after regular rapid charging, so very little evidence of battery degradation and little to find on check ups as against the LEAF 24 or 30.

Not sure what 97% means, so ask them.

As you have probably read, good car, efficient, charges to 80% at 45kWh then 20kWh to 94% then stops. Will do this all day, I go 62m, 85m, 85m, 85m to Scotland with about 30 minute break each time, if you find 150kW chargers it races along at up to 65kW.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies. Salesman isn't filling me with confidence.

The ioniq ev is a super car and I am not really worried about it but the battery health should be easy to work out. The garage I am buying it off are a Hyundai and ford dealership. The ford dealership are selling the ioniq which is a bit odd also.

Both showrooms are beside each other.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ioniqs SOH should be 100%, I think it means the balance of the pack ie a cell is off if health isn't 100%.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked the car up on Tuesday. Salesman hadn't a clue. He showed me a data sheet which stated the health of the battery was 100%.

I left the garage with SOC 100%. Drove 90 km and topped it up at a fast charger. I then drove home which was another 167 km. I arrived home with 42 km on the GOM. My average speed was 96 kmph.

A super car. I love it. Takes ages to charge on the Granny cable but it's v good to drive.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
That is part of the problem in many areas, getting people to understand their own limited knowledge and to still be helpful. Enjoy you freedom from fossil tuels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive now bought two odbs, one wifi and one bt, cant get either to work! Dying to check out my battery as im about to hit 50k miles in my 66 ioniq. Any links to ones that work would be great, getting p#ssed of buying junk. Cheers gaz

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I had problems with obds, eventually I got one to work with EVNotify, register the obd on your phone after plugging into the car. Open EVNotify and select the obd, but then you have to save this setting at the top of the page. It can then connect and work, i tried a few times and did not do the saving first.

Konnwei KW 903 bluetooth, which looks similar to Vgate Icar v2.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Now at nearly 30,000 miles, this week I have been getting 152 miles predicted in the heat, 30c. While others get frustrated about the Kona not rapid charging, the Ioniq just seems to charge fine. A 305 mile trip to Scotland tomorrow, so i will follow the battery temperature during driving and charging, which will be without any rest period, so moving on again as soon as charged.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Premium SE
15 Posts
I was a little worried about my battery SoH as its an ex-demo so I assume it was just left at the dealership fully charged. But during the hot weather recently, I charged it up and the range estimator was showing 170 miles. I've also noticed that even at 100%, the car is still capable of taking high regeneration. I guess not charging the pack to 4.2V/cell is a major factor into why the IONIQ battery pack degradation seems much better than other EV's.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
161 Posts
Now at nearly 30,000 miles, this week I have been getting 152 miles predicted in the heat, 30c. While others get frustrated about the Kona not rapid charging, the Ioniq just seems to charge fine. A 305 mile trip to Scotland tomorrow, so i will follow the battery temperature during driving and charging, which will be without any rest period, so moving on again as soon as charged.
I drove 350 miles to the lake district a few weeks ago.
Did 3 rapid charges and I found after charging, the temperature ended up around 45c with the fan kicking in around 35c.
Driving at a true 70mph between charges the temperature dropped back down to low thirty's before reaching the next charger.
That happened on all 3 so looks like you could do that all day long.

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
92 Posts
I was a little worried about my battery SoH as its an ex-demo so I assume it was just left at the dealership fully charged. But during the hot weather recently, I charged it up and the range estimator was showing 170 miles. I've also noticed that even at 100%, the car is still capable of taking high regeneration. I guess not charging the pack to 4.2V/cell is a major factor into why the IONIQ battery pack degradation seems much better than other EV's.
I haven't quite got that high, but close at 165 miles, however on Sunday, I completed a non-stop 120 mile journey and had 41 miles left, with the GOM suggesting 160 miles at the start so the guessometer guessed quite well! And I agree with Patteri, the charging characteristics are pretty good too when you need it!

·
Registered
829 Posts
The only real guide is a range test. Not heard of any issues with the battery in the Ioniq EV yet.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I checked the battery temperature yesterday, started at ambient 20c, increased over 60 miles to 28c, then to 32c charging to 80% on a 50kW Polar. The next 80 miles stayed at 32c, was driving at about65mph. The next charge at an Instavolt 50kW pushed the temperature up to 40c by 85%. Driving for 90 miles the temp fell to 32c and then up to 39c for a final Instavolt 50kW charger. The temp fell again to 32c. Outside temp was about 24c and cooled as we went through Scotland. I kept the AC on while recharging.

The Instavolt chargers stopped twice but restarted and completed.
As long as there are reasonably spaces chargers, travelling around is fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts