Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I originally got my Zoe back in September 2018 I checked with CanZE and had a value of 88% SOH, however as the BMS Update had not been done I took it back fairly quickly and got this done increasing the percentage up to 98%.

However I've noticed my SOH drop back down again fairly quickly and it's already back down to 88%.

Now the only thing is that while I know I can't complain to RCI until it's under 75% but as it's not even been a full year since owning it my main concern is that over winter the range won't be long enough. (Primarily as I've not seen much of an increase in summer only getting around 75 Miles range at 3.65 mpkWh).

The 10% SOH drop seems to correlate to a 2.6kWh decrease according to CanZEs available kWh measure which is indeed around 10 Miles.

However the other thing is as shown in the graph above, I didn't see a decrease in percentage start until the 10th of March after getting my car back from the Dealership after having the BCB replaced due to Rapid Charging Issues. So could it be because I am doing longer journeys and rapid charging around 4-5 times a month that's causing it?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,273 Posts
Rapid charging is not bad for the battery, so I doubt it, and thermal management on ZOE is excellent. On a Q210, the maximum rate is under 2C, which is not that much really. Not so much you can do but if I were you I would at least mention it to the dealer, and I would regularly check the temperature and voltage heatmaps to see if there is a "sore thumb", AKA a bad cell.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
I heard a full discharge/recharge cycle can sort of recalibrate it and possibly increase the SOH figure, not sure if that's a Fairy Tale(TM)?

I wouldn't take it as gospel, and I have seen it go back up from 94 to 95. You can drive yourself mad worrying about these things - worry when you can't get to your destination even when you squeeze it alloam style :) (for context
)

·
Registered
429 Posts
At a fairly low state of charge, say 25-30%, do some batteries show lower voltages than the rest in CanZE? This would indicate an issue with some batteries in that they have degraded and so have lower capacity - all cells are balanced up to the same level when fully charged but show differences when mostly empty.

I've not got much experience with degradation in Zoe packs so i'm quite interested to hear what these packs do when they start to have issues. In the UK there needs to be more independent EV garages to deal with things like battery pack issues - I know some are leased but for owned batteries there should be repair options when they start to struggle. At the moment the people who can fix these issues are too few.

Thanks.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,960 Posts
Referring to your comments in the previous topic "Do I need a service?" I sincerely hope you did service your car in accordance to your battery hire agreement, or any discussion about degradation is currently pointless unless your happy investing that £90 you saved this year in buying a new pack for RCI to stick in your car. :eek:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Referring to your comments in the previous topic "Do I need a service?" I sincerely hope you did service your car in accordance to your battery hire agreement, or any discussion about degradation is currently pointless unless your happy investing that £90 you saved this year in buying a new pack for RCI to stick in your car. :eek:
It's not even been a year yet so service is due in September which I'll be getting it booked in for now. However I'm actually unclear on when it needs servicing as when they replaced the BCB in my car they reset the service timer on the dash.

I'd still happily argue that the servicing is pointless with what is covered (as previously argued when I got this car which was serviced no updates were done and the month after the 12V Battery which was in good health failed).

But is unfortunately forced as part of the battery rental and extended warranty plans.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's not even been a year yet so service is due in September which I'll be getting it booked in for now. However I'm actually unclear on when it needs servicing as when they replaced the BCB in my car they reset the service timer on the dash.

I'd still happily argue that the servicing is pointless with what is covered (as previously argued when I got this car which was serviced no updates were done and the month after the 12V Battery which was in good health failed).

But is unfortunately forced as part of the battery rental and extended warranty plans.
Hi, just wondering if have an update on this?

I also got the BMS done on my 2016 Zoe and it went from 84% too 100% - just a year later and I'm down to 88% already.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,960 Posts
I heard a full discharge/recharge cycle can sort of recalibrate it and possibly increase the SOH figure, not sure if that's a Fairy Tale(TM)?
Anyone of the "other" FB Zoe group will know I ran my car down to "stopped, won't restart" level on Friday (didn't break down honest, I just had to push it a bit to the charger lol). My SOH has been fluctuating up the way, all the way up to 97% even though I couldn't use 22kwh on a full charge.

Well after my forced calibration the SOH is now 94%, seems more accurate. Range has also plummeted on a full charge, but some of that will be down to the drop in temperature recently.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
94% seems reasonable to me for its age. My 65 plate is on 96, 25k miles

·
Zoe Devotee
7,960 Posts
94% seems reasonable to me for its age. My 65 plate is on 96, 25k miles
On the surface yes, but the SOH just doesn't correspond with what kWh i manage to use. I'll monitor the car after this accidental running lower than low and see if it calibrates. Last time I did this was what lead to SOH to bounce up though. Perhaps it will again but free up capacity. Last time it mysteriously bounced up to 98% I did indeed get 22kWh to use (car said it had 22.8kWh usable). But it only lasted a few hundred miles before the SOH dropped a few % and the kWh usable didn't match the usable again.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Range has also plummeted on a full charge, but some of that will be down to the drop in temperature recently
My ZE40 range is sub 130 in this cold spell of 2degC each morning (pre heat, heated seats and rear demister for my 10miles each day)

JJ

·
Registered
773 Posts
This may be a silly question, but is it possible that Ryan's BCB replacement has in some way negated or overridden the BMS update? I think I mean, is it possible that older firmware was used during the BCB repair and that it may need repeating? Does it take ages to get from 99-100% again? Just a thought.. I guess you can check the software numbers on CanZE.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
BMS is part of the battery pack I believe. May be wrong.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,273 Posts
Pedantic: Yup in the pack, though the term BMS is a generic one. The actual name for the battery management system in the ZOE is the LBC (Lithium Battery Controller, from memory).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts