Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Would you swap your i3 22kwh battery for a 33kwh at a price of £7,644

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where in the UK you can swap the BMW i3 battery from 22Kw to 33Kw, as mentioned in the Telegraph Article mentioned below the SWAP has started in Europe, but not yet available in the UK. Considering that London is a BMW i3 City (I see 20 every day), it would be great to start asap also in the UK.

Another Question, what to do with the 22kwh battery, can I case it and use it as a POWERwall in my house?

How do you consider the price:
33 kwh for £7,644, £231 / kwh or £1.91 / RANGE mile (considering 120 mile electric range)

Below the chapter about BATTERY SWAP for BMW i3 ( 60 Ah / 22kwh to 94 Ah / 33kwh) from the Telegraph ARTICLE

"Since these new and more energy-dense Samsung cells are packed into the same-sized casing, BMW is also offering to swap out the old 60Ah/22kWh battery packs to the new 94Ah/33kWh units for existing customers, though the service is only offered in Europe, and not on Range-Extender i3s. Oh, and even if you do meet the criteria, it will cost about €9,000 (£7,644)."

2016 BMW i3 review: the best electric car this side of a Tesla - and half the price
2016 BMW i3 review: the best electric car this side of a Tesla - and half the price

·
9,719 Posts
BMW UK are not offering a battery swap for the current generation in the short or medium term. They are open to re-assessing it but the costs do not add up. The price would likely be north of £10k, and there isn't a single vehicle in the fleet that has shown anything near warranty claim degradation so the case for offering it is slim.

Should the i3 get the oft rumoured 120aH cells, then this is far more likely to be offered as an upgrade path.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my opinion, it is very early to consider a battery upgrade as cars are at the most only 3 years old. I just took delivery of my i3 94ah Rex but if I would have a 60ah maybe I`ll be waitting for 120ah for battery upgrade.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Surely more cost effective to trade the car in?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts