Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us won't be commuting or going anywhere for a while.

I've been wondering what the best % charge is for an e-Golf that's sitting around mostly unused. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about it too much, just don’t let it get to a very low state of charge for a long time.

Conventional wisdom says that you should aim to keep a lipo battery as near to 50% as possible for optimum long life, both in use and storage. Whether it makes any practical difference to battery longevity or usefulness in an EV, nobody knows.

The longest my e-Golf has stood still is 8 days, it didn’t lose any of its predicted range in that time, with all pre-heating turned off of course.

Your 12v battery will discharge faster than the traction battery, but if you’re only talking about not using it much versus putting it into medium or long term storage, then it will be fine.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,100 Posts
Somewhere between 40 and 60% is the best option if you're leaving an EV in long term storage. If possible I would suggest bringing it to life, blasting the heater and giving it a little drive. That should help keep the 12v battery pack topped up, and prevent any issues with the tyres and brakes from leaving the car stationary too long. Then give it a little recharge to keep the battery within that 40-60% sweet spot.

I don't know how the Golf handles cell balancing, but with most cars it seems to be just before hitting 100% charge. When you do eventually bring the car back into regular use, be sure to give the battery a full charge and decent discharge if possible. It will probably help a little.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I’d been wondering about this. My car has been sitting in the drive since Friday of last week. Think I’ll take it for a drive at some point this week (need to go and see if I can find something in my storage unit anyway so maybe that’ll be my trip out). Think it’s on about 70% at the moment so I’m hoping that should be okay.

My more immediate concern is renewing my insurance!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts