Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MG appear to have released another update, this time to warm the battery.

The attached is from a Norwegian car, but I have been informed it’s now available in the UK. This might alleviate #coldgate.

It's available (needs 3x ECU updates plus a usb update to the nav unit). It is not reversible.

After the update, you can manually select whether you want to use the battery heater or not. It will not activate automatically if you haven't selected it, even if the temperature is very low. Apparently before the update, it works automatically (but I don't know at what temperature it actually comes in!)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,098 Posts
Comfort 3..... now here is the reason I didn't rush out like everyone else and get Comfort 2. :ROFLMAO:

I'm actually really impressed in the volume of updates MG have made available in the last year. As an ex Zoe owner the 3 year wait (fortunately only 1 year for me as I wasn't an early early adopter of the Zoe) just to open windows when charging was pretty painful. Sitting at a rapid in summer cooking with the doors open was hellish.

Maybe MG could re-use the Battery Button by the gear selector to maybe roll out an Eco+ option (long press on button activates). Max speed set to 70mph and maybe kill the huge torque curve down to Zoe sort of levels so I can eak out peak mpkwh rather than my usual pulling out and then booting it (hell why not) and enjoying the rush up to speed limit.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
519 Posts
I wonder how much energy this would consume. The batteries are fairly dense, so once up to temperature, I can't imagine that it would take much to keep it there, and once being driven it would also help keep it warm.

Would this have a negative effect in the summer though? I assume that the battery cooling system would override this for safety.

It would be nice to know how much time it takes to heat up (conditions vary, of course), in case you have a long journey planned and didn't keep the setting on all the time.

I'm going to have to save up some more pennies, Comfort 2 was just under £100 for me.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'm guessing you could only turn this on while you were driving trading range for rapid charge rate on arrival?

It would be more useful if you could heat battery before leaving home so that you could depart with a warm fully charged battery.

Rapid charging rate appears to be dependant upon battery temperature and SoC when charging commences. Understanding the threshold values, respective charge rate caps and current battery temperature would be useful to use battery heater effectively.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wonder they can have an update to allow for OTA updates via wifi.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,098 Posts
Wonder they can have an update to allow for OTA updates via wifi.
Don't think there is wifi baked in to the system.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anyone care to offer an knowledgeable view on what the heating is aimed at addressing? Is it primarily aimed at giving better rapid charging or will it also give better distance in cold weather as a warm battery is more efficient and lasts longer than it would in really cold temps

·
Registered
417 Posts
Anyone care to offer an knowledgeable view on what the heating is aimed at addressing? Is it primarily aimed at giving better rapid charging or will it also give better distance in cold weather as a warm battery is more efficient and lasts longer than it would in really cold temps
We covered a fair bit of what it will offer and why you'd want to use it on the podcast we did last night (this is from the time stamp, we go back and forth for 10 minutes on this)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have just booked mine in for the update on Friday week. It is chargeable and not really for our market as it isn't cold enough!
Really....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just had a chat on the MG Electric Vehicle Owners Club FB group with a guy in Norway. He’s had the battery heater upgrade but has turned it off as it eats too much juice.

He was getting between 23kwh and 27kwh per 100km (note km not miles) with heater on, with heater turned off he’s getting 19kwh per 100km. Would suggest heater costs about 20% to 25% when in use.

Sounds like it would be best to turn on 30 minutes before next rapid charge rather than leave it on all the time 🤔

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: PeterG
1 - 13 of 13 Posts