Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m new to this form and to ev’s. I have a skoda Citigo and I’m having difficulty with charging. Originally I charged with the 3 pin plug which took around 14 hours, when I bought a pod point the home charger took 24 hours to charge and the 3 pin plug started to take around 18 hours.

Skoda have told me it is my fault because I have never charged the car to 100%, but I have given there was no choice for the first 5 months as I was using the 3 pin plug. I think there is a fault with the car and am looking for an independent engineer to assess whats wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Why does using a 3-pin EVSE prevent you from charging to 100%? It's recommended (for most EVs I've heard of) to do this maybe monthly, to let the BMS balance the cells. I would agree that getting those last few % in can take a very long time, as the charging tends to slow right down at the very end.

You say there's somehting wrong now; what sort of range are you getting, and is it what Skoda quotes (or somewhere near) ? What's the useable capacity of the battery meant to be, and what capacity is the car telling you that you now have? More info needed, I think, to try & work out what's wrong, if anything.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
909 Posts
The car is 8 months old with 2000 on the clock
Skoda have told me it is my fault because I have never charged the car to 100%, but I have given there was no choice for the first 5 months as I was using the 3 pin plug.
New car, so any faults are down to the dealer to fix, if there are any. You sound to have been charging sensibly.

I think the car has a 37 kWh battery. Is that correct? On your 3 pin portable charge point it should take about 16 hours to charge to 100% from empty, and you will have been charging to 100%. Doesn't seem much wrong there. The garage is talking nonsense in saying you haven't been doing so, as @HandyAndy says. Is the variation simply due to the state of charge when you start charging?

On a 7 kW home charger it should take something like 6 hours to charge to 100% from empty. Could you clarify what you mean when you say that it "took 24 hours to charge on the home charger". What exactly is the problem you are seeing? Is your charger 7 kW (32A) or 3.5kW (16A)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New car, so any faults are down to the dealer to fix, if there are any. You sound to have been charging sensibly.

I think the car has a 37 kWh battery. Is that correct? On your 3 pin portable charge point it should take about 16 hours to charge to 100% from empty, and you will have been charging to 100%. Doesn't seem much wrong there. The garage is talking nonsense in saying you haven't been doing so, as @HandyAndy says. Is the variation simply due to the state of charge when you start charging?

On a 7 kW home charger it should take something like 6 hours to charge to 100% from empty. Could you clarify what you mean when you say that it "took 24 hours to charge on the home charger". What exactly is the problem you are seeing? Is your charger 7 kW (32A) or 3.5kW (16A)?
Thanks for this, the home charger is a pod point and is 7kwh. Pod point told me to expect to charge for between 4 and 5 hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts