Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a Hyundai Kona electric and trying to establish what percentage the battery would have to degrade for it to be replaced under the warranty, I am asking now as I intent keeping the vehicle for the length of the warranty.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I am considering purchasing a Hyundai Kona electric and trying to establish what percentage the battery would have to degrade for it to be replaced under the warranty, I am asking now as I intent keeping the vehicle for the length of the warranty.
Here's what they say:
High Voltage (lithium-ion polymer) Battery
The high voltage battery warranty covers a minimum capacity for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles (for existing production models first produced prior to 2020) and a period of 8 years or 100,000 miles (for Kona EV 20MY and all new production models first produced after 2020) from the date of first registration, whichever is sooner; for repairs needed to return the battery capacity to at least 70% of the original capacity.

Where possible the high voltage battery components will be repaired and returned to the vehicle; if unrepairable the EV battery will be replaced.
See https://hyundai-website-assets.s3.a...on/warranty/warranty_terms_and_conditions.pdf
(linked from 5 Year Car Warranty |Hyundai UK)

Reactions: Thomson

·
Registered
594 Posts
I believe 70% is a figure I've heard for a warranty exchange (would have to look at the fine print of the warranty). However, with thermal management (which the Kona has), and charging between 20% and 80%, the car will probably fall apart around the battery before you get to 70% degredation.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,031 Posts
Of course it’s all arranged to avoid any mass warranty claims, so 70% will have been chosen as almost certainly not going to happen within the warranty period. It’s a pretty good marker for what the manufacturer reckons is the absolute worst case.

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
557 Posts
According to the cell datasheet you're good for approx 2,000 full cycles to reach 70% SoH. That's 2,000 x 0.85 x 415 km = 705,500 km.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts