Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Leafers!

I live in Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire close to M1 and Welcome Break services are located literally under my nose. However I can't get to their Ecotricity points without getting on M1. This would add about 30 miles to the trip and is simply illogical already having a side road connecting the services with the village. The local council however forbid to use the road to anyone except employees', suppliers' and emergency vehicles coming and leaving the services, because of "increased noise pollution in the village due to increased traffic".
So I filed an official request to consider issuing permits to EV drivers to access the station from "the mainland" without having to go on M1. In all fairness EVs are as quiet as any vehicle can be, so there can't be really valid reasons not to consider this.
Was wondering if anyone had similar experiences with local councils?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for advice. This is exactly what I mean and to be frank hybrids don't have the same status as ZEV. They have a choice where to refuel, while we don't.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,955 Posts
This has troubled me since I bought my Zoe. So often at MSAs has the charger on my travel side not been working. I have then been left with no alternative, as not enough range, but to travel to the other side. I have not been stopped by any obstructions, nor have I had a summons against it. However, it's a heart in mouth time getting to the charger as you'll always be going the wrong way up a one way street:eek: It's terrifying in the dark:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It's a grey area.
In the days of unreliable chargers, Ecotricity used to advise you to use the service lane (where available) to cross to the other side, and there are many people who have reported requesting access at the barriers to use the chargers.
I even used Newport Pagnell southbound myself like that - the intercom at the barriers didn't work, but a passing employee let me in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts