Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2nd leader all over BBC News this morning is the PMs “imminent” announcement about the ban on new ICE sales being brought forward to 2030 with a ban on Hybrid and PlugIn Hybrids in 2035.

No fan of the Grauniad but they had this a month ago.

Got to be good news for anyone with new/relatively new EV though as this should stimulate used values a little earlier.

I’m assuming there are further incentives on the way unless, having emptied Rishi’s handbag during the recent unpleasantness, .Gov are intending to rely entirely on stick to push people into EVs before then.

Not entirely surprising to read a headline in the ‘graph suggesting BMWs chief thinks Boris’s plans aren’t deliverable. I take that to mean BMW wants longer to absorb their ICE r&d costs.

Either way, looking forward to our roads being more Norway.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Incentives are the real meat on the bone. My whole family will buy EV when prices are south of £15k.

they did rumour incentives in July but nothing materialised. Perhaps they were saving big news for a Cummings-related rainy day, a little distraction after a government pile up

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Incentives are the real meat on the bone. My whole family will buy EV when prices are south of £15k.

they did rumour incentives in July but nothing materialised. Perhaps they were saving big news for a Cummings-related rainy day, a little distraction after a government pile up
You can get EVs from around £5k already. £15k would get you a pretty decent one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Until the ICE manufacturers recognise it isn’t business as usual there will never be enough time from thier point of view.
EV‘s and alternatives have been coming for a while now so they should be planning ahead.....

·
Registered
Looking for a new EV...again 😂
421 Posts
Plenty of Leafs and Zoes for much less.
The only issues with the Zoe is that 99% of them are with leased battery (like mine) and there is no way for me to pay Renault £5500 for the battery as quoted a few weeks back. If I pay off the battery this brings me close to £17K. I love the car but it is NOT 17K car. I will drive it for 6/8 months and moving to a new EV....I haven't decided what exactly but it will not be a Renault.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The only issues with the Zoe is that 99% of them are with leased battery (like mine) and there is no way for me to pay Renault £5500 for the battery as quoted a few weeks back. If I pay off the battery this brings me close to £17K. I love the car but it is NOT 17K car. I will drive it for 6/8 months and moving to a new EV....I haven't decided what exactly but it will not be a Renault.
Leafs? EGolf? Zoes start from around £5k plus battery lease.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,456 Posts
@i3S has analysed it correctly, there's no money left to pay for incentives so it'll be the stick. Legacy manufacturers have had enough warning so only have themselves to blame. Halo cars like the BMW iNext are not the answer.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Until the ICE manufacturers recognise it isn’t business as usual there will never be enough time from thier point of view.
EV‘s and alternatives have been coming for a while now so they should be planning ahead.....
But I thought that they had recognised it isn't business as usual. Otherwise where are the EV's and alternatives coming from?

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,385 Posts
Yawn

·
Registered
Looking for a new EV...again 😂
421 Posts
Leafs? EGolf? Zoes start from around £5k plus battery lease.
I do apologise to anyone that drives Leaf but I hated the thing. I drove Zoe and Leaf one after the other and obviously I went for the Zoe. EGolf is solid proposition but I wanted a range, the EGolf don't offer more than 100 miles in a good day. The Zoe even now is good for 150/160 any time.
The £5K Zoes are 22kW so even worst than the Golf. The range is about 80 miles. I need more than that.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,104 Posts
plus battery lease.
Which at £99 a month means that a new MG looks a whole lot more attractive. Well it did for me. After adding the monthly to the battery lease of my 2018 ZE40 it came to £312. 2020 MG EZS came to £309 (obviously no lease). New car with loads of extras against old car with fewer extras (and no more having to bow to RCI :mad:) was a no brainer.

NB, ZE50, even without battery lease was going to be £328.

Reactions: TJEV and Padrino

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,385 Posts
Which at £99 a month means that a new MG looks a whole lot more attractive. Well it did for me. After adding the monthly to the battery lease of my 2018 ZE40 it came to £312. 2020 MG EZS came to £309 (obviously no lease). New car with loads of extras against old car with fewer extras (and no more having to bow to RCI :mad:) was a no brainer.

NB, ZE50, even without battery lease was going to be £328.
Very different ranges and capabilities. You can’t really compare a 2020 car with a 2016 car either.

You can get a battery owned Zoe 50 for well under £300 per month today.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,104 Posts
Very different ranges and capabilities. You can’t really compare a 2020 car with a 2016 car either.

You can get a battery owned Zoe 50 for well under £300 per month today.
Range isn't the be-all or end-all. The ride and comfort far out classes the Zoe (don't forget I've had 2). The gadgets beat the Zoe's by a long mark.

It looks like that a lot of new EV prices have dropped recently. Probably due to the dealer having to reach their quotas. A new MG will cost a lot less per month than I pay. I was comparing prices (and actual amounts for the ZE40 and dealer offer for ZE50) at the time of purchase.

And I'll go with @Padrino in that I would never buy a Renault again. I only bought one at the time as it was virtually the only show in town. If I'd had experience of RCI before I'd have waited even longer. I had deliberately not owned a Renault before as I reckoned they were quite rubbish. YMMV

Reactions: Padrino

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
759 Posts
Not really. Even now if you need a new car an EV works out the same monthly cost as a normal ICE vehicle.

·
Premium Member
11,943 Posts
Not really. Even now if you need a new car an EV works out the same monthly cost as a normal ICE vehicle.
Exactly. Few people actually buy a new car cash, so it is all about monthly costs. For people looking for a new car who can charge at home (ideally on cheap overnight tariff) the lease deals this quarter definitely make it cheaper to drive BEV than an equivalent ICE. However, if someone is happy with a small, basic, manual, petrol car then it might still be cheaper, especially on low mileage (where less fuel cost).

It is interesting though. A Corsa 1.2 SE costs £179 down and per month on 4 year PCP with 20K total miles. Assuming you just give back (best plan!) then cost is £8,771 over 4 years. Add 3 years road tax at £450 (it will probably be more) and we get to £9,221. We will ignore any extra cost of servicing as too hard, but add petrol for 20K miles at ~£2,000 and we get to £11,221.

Right now, a Zoe GT Line Rapid Charge on 4 year PCH is £10,911 for same term and mileage. If it was charged at home on Octopus Go, the 20K miles would cost no more than £300, a total cost of £11,221! And of course the GT Line has a far better spec, performance, etc.

Sure, higher home electric costs and some rapid charging costs would make the Zoe a bit more expensive, but I still can't fathom why people would choose the ICE. I have never owned a small, manual ICE as find them awful (I had one again recently in Spain) IMO an electric drivetrain transforms them.

Text Motor vehicle Product Font Line

Petrol costs used from

1 - 20 of 49 Posts