Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
If either of pib or evda is worth anything they should issue a press release today stating an official position to paying for charging.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
"Tomorrow on You & Yours, the Electric Car drivers who prefer to wait for recovery than pay to charge their batteries".

Should appear here I think: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b047c770

Ok, fess up. Who said that to a BBC reporter?
Gah!
I so hope this isn't connected to that other thread about 2 Leafs being stranded at the services (allegedly) a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
394 Posts
"Tomorrow on You & Yours, the Electric Car drivers who prefer to wait for recovery than pay to charge their batteries".
Oh dear :(

On the LEAF forum about Ecotricity introducing fees for public charging someone called it profiteering. I don't get this viewpoint at all and I really hope this radio program doesn't focus on this.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Oh dear :(

On the LEAF forum about Ecotricity introducing fees for public charging someone called it profiteering. I don't get this viewpoint at all and I really hope this radio program doesn't focus on this.
It's charging for a service... I believe EVs need a leg up, but business is business, and if there's no provable way to make money from EVs then EVs are dead in the water... And they're not.

Tesla make money from all kinds of schemes and yet they still charge for cars, it's not profiteering, it's called building a business.

Even Chargemaster's rates. Horrible, but one way or another the market will decide.

All part of the EV growing pains I guess.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've exchanged a few emails with the reporter in her research into the piece, but as an Ampera driver my angle was on why I choose to use petrol rather than Chargemaster posts since the pricing came in.

I agree with @Paul 's sentiment above - the market will decide. I am so pro-EV it's unreal, but if electricity is more expensive than petrol, then something's gone wrong somewhere.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Duncan, I already have that matter covered as I was interviewed for the show the other day regards thoughts on pricing. Mind you, the title doesnt quite fit with the main subject topic which was mainly about general charging costs (but that wouldn't make a nice show title would it!) and also the fact that Durham Council were now charging and the reporter was told they were not and it was Chargemaster that started the ball rolling with MK on a large scale.

Durham are charging £5 which is still a tad to high when you consider the cost relation to diesel and petrol and the fact as a commodity electric to the home user generally costs us 7-15p per Kwh depending on tariff such as economy 7. My personal target I would consider ok would be in the £3.50p to £4.00p range as I understand these companies need to have a profitable income but not to the point of being ripped off in the process! Some would say maybe even less than £3.50p, but still far better than Chargemasters laughable £7.50p. If prices dont work out cheaper than diesel or petrol by atleast 50% then it will prob help slow the uptake of EV's big time!

The reporter through searching Leaftalk and SpeakEV became aware afew comments that were left were along the lines, "i'd rather get a flat bed than pay that (£7.50p) amount out of principle" and of course I was asked my opinion and to be fair I think i'd be prepared to do that on principle also!

It is fair to say people are not exactly happy with Chargemaster on a number of levels and with just cause to be fair!

Sam Fenwick (no relation) the reporter was also due to have a phone interview with Chargemaster (David Martell) today, so yesterday she sent me his responses To questions after my interview to see if he was being honest with her and to be honest and lets just say he might have just forgot a few things!

I look forward to his response on the show as some of his responses were just plain wrong and wacky! Suffice to say, Chargemaster really don't know what there target customers want in a charging service!

The was another chap from the forum sent her a lengthy email over Chargemaster and its 'suspect' ways, sadly I cant recall his name, poss a Julian? And drives an Ampera and to be fair, I couldn't find a point I didn't agree with him!

Subject to how his interview plays out I will pop back tomorrow after listening to it and post my responses to his sometime bizarre thoughts and comments!

As regards an official stance from the EVDA-UK, we did send Chargemaster an open letter back in March,

( Link - http://www.evda-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/OpenLetterToChargemaster-web.pdf ) but no one from Chargemaster was even polite enough to offer a reply or even an acknowledgement of even receiving it!

I look forward to hearing how this plays out once edited!

A F-G.

Reactions: Duncan

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've exchanged a few emails with the reporter in her research into the piece, but as an Ampera driver my angle was on why I choose to use petrol rather than Chargemaster posts since the pricing came in.

I agree with @Paul 's sentiment above - the market will decide. I am so pro-EV it's unreal, but if electricity is more expensive than petrol, then something's gone wrong somewhere.
Ah so it was a Julian then! Well the few comments Sam mentioned in your email I have to say you pretty much hit it on the nail head and i certainly agreed with your points!

A F-G

·
Registered
697 Posts
The was another chap from the forum sent her a lengthy email over Chargemaster and its 'suspect' ways, sadly I cant recall his name, poss a Julian? And drives an Ampera and to be fair, I couldn't find a point I didn't agree with him!
Hi :cool:

Happy to share aforementioned email if anyone's interested? (Paul's had a copy)

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,685 Posts

Only makes sense if petrol costs more never going to work EVER!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, hopefully Chargemaster see sense and get to a logical fee around £3.50p to £4.00p max!

·
Registered
268 Posts
If I had to choose between arranging a flatbed recovery or paying chargemaster £7.50 for a charge, I would pay the £7.50. I can't believe anyone would even consider calling recovery to avoid paying £7.50. I would, of course, avoid anything to do with chargemaster for the rest of my life and encourage everyone I know to do the same. But no flatbed

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yes, hopefully Chargemaster see sense and get to a logical fee around £3.50p to £4.00p max!
I assume you're referring to a complete empty-to-80% rapid charge? As a non-rapid-compatible EV owner I can't comment on that... But surely per kWH has to be the way of pricing? So that if you only top up a few kWh to get home, you just pay for what you consume... Allowing you to calculate per-mile costs?

·
Registered
76 Posts
If I had to choose between arranging a flatbed recovery or paying chargemaster £7.50 for a charge, I would pay the £7.50. I can't believe anyone would even consider calling recovery to avoid paying £7.50. I would, of course, avoid anything to do with chargemaster for the rest of my life and encourage everyone I know to do the same. But no flatbed
Well yes im sure the few who said that would prob go the £7.50p route rather than flatbed route but I think that demonstrates the level of discord with chargemaster from the EV community.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I assume you're referring to a complete empty-to-80% rapid charge? As a non-rapid-compatible EV owner I can't comment on that... But surely per kWH has to be the way of pricing? So that if you only top up a few kWh to get home, you just pay for what you consume... Allowing you to calculate per-mile costs?
Yes per kwh has to be the transparent way forward, I would say at least 35% of my rapids are for less than 15 mins , either due to time constraints or just wanting opportunity for a pee/cuppa and there's a rapid there so why not!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
From the small amount of discussions we have had it does suggest the best way forward is by Kwh, it is what other EV drivers are asking for (tho the post above was specific to my usage and beliefs.) There is ONLY one way to have a logical comparison between charger providers in the same way that we buy diesel by the Litre etc. Durham charge £5, chargemaster £7.50p you cant calculate value as you may say spend 27 mins at durham but only 15 at chargemaster. We need to push for per kwh charges, after all thats why the GOV changed the rules!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
It's a shame they have that quote/attitude as I think as early EV owners we do need to be on a bit of a charm offensive with our fellow road users. I know from experience that they don't enjoy paying for fuel at the prices demanded, so to hear EV folk say they'd rather get a (free) ICE flatbed home than pay to charge just looks selfish and really quite outlandish I'm sure. A quick way to lose sympathy and understanding.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts