Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I saw this re-tweeted and thought it might be worth keeping an eye on.

Always good to see the subject being raised in the media and perhaps members with experience of the proposed route might be able to assist to ensure the reporter is as well informed as possible??

Derek

·
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reactions: Paul

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Given them a retweet via Speak EV and will try to communicate directly later on. We need to get our "pro EV" minded folk onboard with this, show them what a great EV community we all share...

I hope! :D

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I thought if the EV community can be seen to take an active interest to ensure she has a good experience it would be a positive thing.

Being in Glasgow (and an Ampera driver) I have no knowledge of the charging network in that area.

Derek

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Should be no bother assuming the ecotricity units are online! Is she in a Leaf...?

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, a Leaf.

And leaving her (and her producer) without some assistance from experienced users also concerned me. You can just about hear the item now can't you?

However, I see an opportunity for some positive input to raise the profile of the piece. By her tweeting ev users asking to meet at the charge points and share their experiences then maybe she is looking for some positive views.

Derek

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am going to Newcastle with work on Friday I will probably get to scotch corner about the same time as her. I can at least warn her about any other problems further south and show her the double charge technique if you need to hop a broken charger and to call the duty manager to get to the other side of the motorway if needed.

Any other tips I should dish out?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I could have sworn I'd seen that Scotch Corner was offline in the last couple of days - can anyone confirm it's definitely OK?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
That last stretch is about 50-60 miles depending on the route into Cranfield, unless she leaves with a full charge it might be getting low by the time Cranfield comes around. A top up at Newport Pagnell may be wise?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The southbound Ecotricity charger at Leicester Forest East (LFE) is a little tight on space at the moment as work is being done on the building. Temporary fencing and work vans aren't helping access to the chargers.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I am a little concerned that this journey might have its problems. For the main reason that the chargers may have a fault. Which might hamper her journey and turn the trip into a negative slant.

Yes the Leaf can do the journey, but you need patience and time. Let's be honest the leaf is a a car that's ideal for takling your daily commute and the odd rapid charge or two if you need that extra range in the day.

This is why I think she would have been better off having the leaf for a week for her daily commute and maybe a 100ish mile journey to give the rapids a go. Write the report about it and tell everyone how much she enjoyed driving on zero emissions.

Let's just hope the rapids are fault free, that she takes her time on them motorways and that she meets up with some of the SpeakEV members to give her some words of encouragement :).

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ecotricity's map is showing it as being online
Was posted on Leaftalk on 11/5, and said that Ecotricity had been advised. Not seen any tweets about it though. I'd recommend a call to Ecotricity to confirm.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I completely agree about the week long test drive I had the leaf for quite a few months doing commuting and 30mile day trips until I started to venture further, she is going straight into an epic road trip.

Though she did say that Ecotricity gave her the itinerary and schedule so I think it's safe to say they will have a plan. She is travelling from nissan manufacturing to nissan research so I don't think she will be left flying in the wind.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
This trip is coordinated with Ecotricity they provided the route charging times and card, Sam even has direct phone contact numbers.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts