Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
1.) Heard bits of this while driving my Leaf for work. Surprisingly confusing to hear Leaf noises that didn't belong to my car while driving.....!

2.) Pricing for Leaf misleading. £30,000 ...did mention grant of 5,000. But did not mention that the list price for a Leaf is £21,000. With grant taken off. A significant mis-reporting.

3.) Need to listen to it all. But from what I heard my initial view was spin.....anti buy an ev today spin. Whether from prejudice or malice......?

But I really don't care. Because there are tens of thousands of ev drivers friends, family and associates who are getting to see ev's first hand. A proportion of which will buy an ev. And so on.

The genie is out of the bottle.....:)))

(Also, encouraging to hear the Tesla rep say by the end of 2014 rapid charging will be available in every services...seemed to suggest they were not looking to displace Ecotricity. And also encouraging that they are anticipating long range competitor ev's possibly using superchargers....)

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 · (Edited)
I listened to the whole podcast with great interest having started this thread.

Whilst there were a lot of positives I was disappointed by the main host's whole approach which was typically scathing (in a superior BBC style). Apart from her tone I felt James May was pretty good other than the angle of just for the wealthy at the moment.

With the recent price drops for the Ampera, the more realistic price of a Zoe, the lower price of a Leaf on flex and the burgeoning second hand market I no longer see them as just for the wealthy. I bought mine on finance like probably 80% of people do. It's just an alternative choice now as far I see it. What we need is greater market knowledge of the whole EV option.

I was also disappointed my car was not mentioned and that rather than acknowledge a Vauxhall James used the now defunct Fisker as his example for an E-rev.

Derek

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
Apart from her tone I felt James May was pretty good other than the angle of just for the wealthy at the moment.
I think you are correct with the price of car coming down and the second hand market coming into play, but to realistically own an EV you are really going to want to charge at home. If you don't have a drive then that is imposible, unless you are lucky enough to have a public charge a short walk away. This mean that you have to be wealthy enough to afford a house with a drive, it would be interesting to know a comparison of wealth to houses with a drive's

·
Registered
Leaf 40
872 Posts
(Also, encouraging to hear the Tesla rep say by the end of 2014 rapid charging will be available in every services..)
Hmm I heard that and thought it was Tesla spin. It's not their chargers that will be available in every services is it? And A Tesla will take a very long time to charge on an Ecotricity rapid.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
...its unlikely a model S will roll in on the electron equivalent of fumes...
Electron equivalent of fumes? Sparks? Ions? Joules (3600 joules = 1kWh)...

"I cut it so fine I was running on Joules"

·
Registered
183 Posts
Three things frustrated me.

1) 30k for a leaf!, my brand new Gen1 was £16,360. Also could have mentioned the battery rental options.

2) there should have been a £/month comparison or at least a statement like if you do more that 10k miles per year but less than 80 miles per day it's worth looking at an electric car.

3) why did she sit for 2 hours at Scoth Corner? (Terrible advice from Ecotricity) why did she and the leaf driver that was talking about the metro centre not mention the charger at Aston hotel, Morritt Arms or Ecotricity at Durham. There were no clips from the rest of her successful charges.

However I did like James' comments about how we have already figured out electricity distribution and that wealthy early adopters are good to be pioneers as it enables future access to everyone.

The overall message I got was 'not yet' when I think it should have been more 'definitely a better option if you meet x, y, z criteria'

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
3) why did she sit for 2 hours at Scoth Corner? (Terrible advice from Ecotricity) why did she and the leaf driver that was talking about the metro centre not mention the charger at Aston hotel, Morritt Arms or Ecotricity at Durham. There were no clips from the rest of her successful charges.
This was raised by numerous people on the day - though she did get some conflicting advice. Aston Hotel did (still does?) have a dodgy connector, but it seems she was determined to stick with the advice of Ecotricity who obviously beleived the charger would come back online quickly. (It does appear to have been an error beyond their control, but they should have had a plan B).

There was also a lot of frustration on the day that she didn't tweet about the successful charges. The cynic might say that there's no story in charging successfully...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Anyone else as surprised as me that I didn't hear any mention of "Zero Emissions" (even with the petrol head caveat of "at point of use" ) - or did I miss it ? And for my birthday mum ? A tesla and new life in Norway please........lol

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just listened to this. I actually thought it was a reasonable program with a fairly positive vibe. Yes, they focused on some of the issues and problems but that's fair, I certainly didn't feel that it was a hatchet job.

I'm not sure how many of their regulars would have made it to the end though, probably quite a dull show for their typical listener.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Anyone else as surprised as me that I didn't hear any mention of "Zero Emissions" (even with the petrol head caveat of "at point of use" ) - or did I miss it ? And for my birthday mum ? A tesla and new life in Norway please........lol
I did'nt but every now and then the BBC keep highlighting health concerns due to ICE fumes but can't seem to get their motoring correspondents to recognise this and sing from the same hymn sheet - ie
BBC News - UK air pollution: How bad is it?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26851399

2 Apr 2014 - Health warnings have been issued for parts of England as air pollutionreaches high levels. So what exactly is the problem, and how serious is ...

161 - 179 of 179 Posts