Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting local news story on the BBC news website:

Motoring journalist Sam Dawson - who road-tested the C5 for Classic and Sport Car Magazine in 2010 - says that much of the vitriol towards it was utterly undeserved.

"It's actually incredibly fun to drive! Lotus had a hand in its design and it shows; it handles very nimbly, and the fact that your bum is virtually on the road makes you feel as though you're going much faster than 15mph.

"You do feel vulnerable, but the safety concerns could have been addressed if it wasn't for the fact that it was already doomed as a national joke.

"I think the media hype harmed it. The press were expecting a car, whereas the C5 was just a fun way of getting around."

Full story on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-28219291

·
Registered
551 Posts
totally agree, not only was C5 underrated, but its creator Sir Clive (or uncle Clive as we called him) is too..
Although he is derided by a cynical UK press (people ? ) for the C5, it is easy to forget the 1st affordable pocket calculator, and of course affordable computers that spurned many computer entrepreneurs .. in the US they revere steve Jobs .. in UK ..... (add your own derision .... )

·
Super Moderator
11,988 Posts
If the C5 had been a lot more Twizy and a lot less Fisher-Price, it would have been a hit.

UK motoring history is full of almost good technological innovation that for one reason or another didn't cut it.

The first car we bought when moved the to UK is a perfect example: Rover Metro --- Hydra gas suspension. Good use of space. Well known Rover reliability.1 star crash rating...

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
If the C5 had been a lot more Twizy and a lot less Fisher-Price, it would have been a hit.
Remember that the C5 was built to comply with the new law that had just been introduced - by having pedal power and a limited top speed it could be driven by anyone over 14 with or without a driving license.

In a country where it still isn't legal to ride a Segway on either the road or the pavement, that was pretty ahead of its time :)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In a country where it still isn't legal to ride a Segway on either the road or the pavement, that was pretty ahead of its time :)
The gap in the law for things like the Segway and electric scooters (as in like go-peds, but electric, and indeed go-peds themselves) baffles me. How hard can it be?!

·
Super Moderator
11,988 Posts
Remember that the C5 was built to comply with the new law that had just been introduced - by having pedal power and a limited top speed it could be driven by anyone over 14 with or without a driving license.

Ahhh. I wasn't here then. We moved to the UK in 2008.

The Twizy 45, limited to 45kph, is the same as a moped in some EU countries but perhaps not in the UK.

The 45 isn't sold here. Is it too heavy to meet the UK rules?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Many years ago I invited myself to sinclairs offices in london. I was given a trial battery powered bike attachment and a look at a full battery powered bike. After a month of trials the outcome was that it was complete crap. Rubber band rubbing on bike tyre with a lead acid battery. There was no innovation going on. I was rather disappointed having grown up with a zx81.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The advertising for the C5 hugely overstated the case, as with all Sinclair products.
Some of today's EVs might benefit from pedals, though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did it with the zx80? We had used commodore pets could never afford one but Sinclair made a machine I could afford after much saving and parents saying what's the point . Probably one of the most life changing days of my life discovering programming and algorithms.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts