Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that the BBC are doing a piece on BBC South news about electric cars.

Not too sure about the content but may be worth a look. Hopefully a positive piece about the technology and charging infrastructure.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I missed it :-( I'll have to search online for it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's on there now. 9 minutes into the iplayer programme, good piece and interesting stats on the EV numbers.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes great to see Paul on there, I should have gone there myself to meet Dale and thank him personally for helping make all this possible, he has to be the coolest CEO of any utility company? Good article and great to see, the Look North program with the sniggering presenters was typical from the BBC.

I recorded the report and will pop it online if anyone wants to see it as it will likely disappear from the Iplayer very soon.

Thanks to Ecotricity and Nissan, the rapid charger network is really working for me, Leafs now dropping below 10K and the fast emergence of all of the RC is going to make things interesting and possibly quite busy at the charging stations, good excuse for them to put more in!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
It would have been good to meet you knoxie and I don't suppose this is any consolation but the very first thing I did (after getting his name wrong! DOH!) was to thank him and his team. He is a really cool guy and in spite of some of the issues they have had I think we really should get behind them whenever possible :) tbh I think most EV drivers I know do :)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes I would have come along had I not been working, it would have been great to meet Dale, his story is pretty amazing starting from literally nothing to what he has done now, its a shame that the Look North program was approached with the usual disdain by the presenters.

I am sure we will meet at some point Paul that would be nice, I am on fairly limited miles on my PCP deal so cant go on too many long hauls without me going over my mileage limit however I love driving the Leaf so much I don't mind paying the 10p a mile to drive it more!

The issues that Nissan and ecotricity have has have been down to an issue with the Chargers which are supplied by a 3rd party, hopefully they will sort this in to the future.

3 x EV stories on the local news in the last couple of days as we had the Milton Keynes buses today as well, its good to see the local news covering the stories even with the sniggering news readers.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Well, if my current plans actually happen I will be visiting your area again pretty soon... watch this space.

I believe that the chargers Ecotricity are using are of a Nissan design but built by DBT. I am not 100% sure of that but that is what I have heard.

Speaking to Ecotricity it seems that they and Nissan have been laying down the law to DBT and DBT have come up with a solution to the charger failures. According to Dale the DBT chargers are being adversely affected by moisture and this is causing diverse failures. DBT believe they have a solution and Ecotricity are going to get that implemented asap. They really do seem totally committed to fixing these issues. I believe they will soon.

BTW, I have also heard from Ecotricity that they will start to double up soon on the chargers where ever it makes sense to do so. There are some serious technical issues at some locations regarding supply so I wouldn't expect it everywhere but in the busiest perhaps and at strategic locations to provide some redundancy.

It is all moving in the right directions as far as I can see :)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Hi

Oh right that’s good to hear that they are on top of it, there are many other makes of charger ABB make them too one would imagine that they would be pretty decent considering the lineage that they have, moisture in the cabinets can be fixed with anti-condensation heating one would assume, I have been working in electrical control panel design for 25 years so know this problem very well.

I am always up for a meet at a Rapid Charger although the last person I arranged to meet didn’t show up? Blessing in disguise though as I went and had a test drive in an I3 REX which was super fun.

I am not surprised that they will have power issues at some of the sites, lots of these sites are always thinking about building expansion I would think they keep electrical capacity in reserve in terms of site supplies for this reason as running in new supplies can be very expensive not to mention some local sub stations couldn’t cope with it, I would assume the Tesla superchargers run off 11kV from local rings then step this all down in the cabinets that sit behind the chargers, this is how they make their chargers look so pretty, they hide all the hardware in big cabinets then fence the cabinets off leading to just the cable,plug and the pretty white charging stand being the only thing the customer interacts with.

I always check the ecotricity site and the relevant twitter feeds before I make any Rapid Charge journey and have not had a problem yet apart from the Warwick services which is now fixed, top tip being always arrive at the rapid charger with enough charge to double back to the other side of the motorway in case one of the chargers is down or busy.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Getting a bit off-topic... sorry... but I took my Leaf to Amsterdam a couple of years ago and I charged at a roadside rapid charger with 2 cables so 2 cars could charge together. There was a big grey box off to one side in which all the electrics were housed leaving just the card reader and cable by the roadside. Very neat.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Slightly off topic still sorry

Yes the Tesla approach is good one as you keep all the sensitive electronics inside sturdy, ventilated and temperature compensated control panels and leave the exposed element being just a basic metal frame with the supply cables in, there is not much that can go wrong with that part of the system, I understand that this may not be possible at some sites due to the site conditions but it is a very good way of doing it.

I am sure that in the future most rapid chargers systems will be installed like this, here in the UK 11kV substations are pretty common although supplies are quite limited in some areas, you can see how Tesla do it on this video here, its quite interesting.

There are other examples on his youtube channel of the Tesla way of doing it, you can see the big green transformer on this video that is used to step down the high voltage feed to the cabinets.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Getting a bit off-topic... sorry... but I took my Leaf to Amsterdam a couple of years ago and I charged at a roadside rapid charger with 2 cables so 2 cars could charge together. There was a big grey box off to one side in which all the electrics were housed leaving just the card reader and cable by the roadside. Very neat.
That was an ABB charger. Terra 100.1.

This was designed in the same way as the Tesla supercharger, but was out years ahead of Tesla's design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts