Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Please don't take this programme seriously.

If the three muppet haircut ladies were doing the job they claim there would not be a single criminal living in this country.

It's a light entertainment 'time filler' programme. Cheap to make and. as long as they don't name the guilty parties, cheap to run. Nothing to do with investigative journalism.

Speaking as someone who has just hired an i3 for an experimental week I now 'know' that EV is horses for courses. But, as someone said earlier, it would not suit the programme to say that for some folk EV works well. And that would be jolly annoying as the makers would have to find another topic to claim is a rip off - so let's save money and go ahead with this one!.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Please don't take this programme seriously.

If the three muppet haircut ladies were doing the job they claim there would not be a single criminal living in this country.

It's a light entertainment 'time filler' programme. Cheap to make and. as long as they don't name the guilty parties, cheap to run. Nothing to do with investigative journalism.

Speaking as someone who has just hired an i3 for an experimental week I now 'know' that EV is horses for courses. But, as someone said earlier, it would not suit the programme to say that for some folk EV works well. And that would be jolly annoying as the makers would have to find another topic to claim is a rip off - so let's save money and go ahead with this one!.
Are they Jeremy Clarkson's relatives?

·
Registered
473 Posts
But, as someone said earlier, it would not suit the programme to say that for some folk EV works well.
Well, for a bit of balance they did have the lady with the Leaf although that charge point should have worked with two cars, that was plain wrong, it must have been faulty or a point that the Zoe didn't like, I had the Check Charging Post issue only last week. The guy with the ipace didn't do his homework if the story about his first long trip is to be believed - bit amazed that Jaguar not only fully refunded him but gave him compensation too.

Nice though that Angela at the end said she loved the Zoe - but the firm she hired it from should have pumped the tyres up...

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nice though that Angela at the end said she loved the Zoe - but the firm she hired it from should have pumped the tyres up...
Maybe it was on new rubber?
I know from experience that cars with pressure sensors also display a warning after tyres are replaced.
Usually you just have to hold the relevant button down for a few seconds to reset it.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Just watched it. .

Public charging needs to be as reliable and easy as getting petroL it isn't.

Range item with what cars made up test was a bit weaker but we all know that EVs don't do the advertised range as the tests are weighted against cold weather and motorway travel.

Every person said how good the EV driving experience was. It's still the public charging network that is a problem in many areas.

The fact that slightly naive bloke with the ipace got all his money back plus compensations tells you he must have had a valid complaint. The odd thing was why he seems to have been told his car wasn't compatible with a type 2 charging post.

Nothing like a hatchet job. They were all issues that have been brought up by users in here!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Most people have a long range car and fill it up at regular intervals and it takes them 5 minutes per week/fortnight/month. Stopping and charging isn't a pattern of use they want necessarily.
60% of cars are kept off road and therefore have the ability to charge at home. Not only is this the cheapest way of charging it means with no waiting whatsoever your car's 'tank' is full every morning. Not only that but the car is defrosted and warm (or cool) when you go to leave in the morning.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Whist I agree that there are some valid points raised by this show, there was a certain naivety of the owner being new to Ev's and going on a 500 mile trip without proper planning. Picking this guy reminded me of early Top Gear's shameless attempts to discredit the use of alternatives to petrol/ diesel.

If you are new to the technology, if you don't plan ahead properly you could easily get burned. That said, there are numerous apps available that help you overcome some of these issues.

Now... I guess my opinion is not really that valid as yet, I have no experience of either EVs or the charging network. I am in the market however for an i3s but it will mostly be for round trips from home that are easily within the range of the car. In fact 99% of my typical journeys will be like this.

The show is targeted at the the more mature viewer I think, and I guess what it does is give them food for thought such that they avoid the situation that the iPace owner encountered. Sounds like the pain of his wife's ear bashing was more than the hassle of finding alternative working charge points :))

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you are used to a 500-600 mile petrol/diesel car then a 150 mile EV is useless in comparison. It's just a fact.
Sounds like me, but the EV was better in comparison other than you had to charge en route on those rare long journeys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If he got a tesla, using the super charger network, he might not have a very different opinion of EV's.

Strange at one point he said he had his lights on, driving at night with AC on - wouldn't it be wiser to just use the normal fan at night? Strange.

As for the public charging network, fair enough - charging netwroks need to get their **** together and use easy contactless payment, or equally very easy way, no joining up crap.

And ideally, he should have known some chargers are faster than others. There are tons of 50kw chargers about. He must have not known about zapmap or plugshare app. Strange. More money than sense.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It was also curious that she was standing by a what looked like a 2 socket 7kW pod point charger and saying that only one socket can be used at once which isn't true, They didn't show the front of the charger so it wasn't possible to confirm this.
No! We all know that if you turn up at a petrol pump and use the unleaded nozzle, someone else can use the diesel nozzle on the same machine at the same time.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Well, if the press wants to keep talking negatively about EVs then it just means that us EV drivers get to enjoy the benefits for a little bit longer!
Exactly, EVs are getting too popular as it is, great to see the BBC maybe putting people off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, if the press wants to keep talking negatively about EVs then it just means that us EV drivers get to enjoy the benefits for a little bit longer!
In the past, i'd have disagreed, but there comes a tipping point where the people that have bothered to do their research massively benefit.

For those that think diesel is the only one for them... well, enjoy those low fuel prices while they last.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Exactly, EVs are getting too popular as it is, great to see the BBC maybe putting people off.
Yeah.

Was hilarious when I did a quick search for zap-map on 50kw chargers. You basically don't see the map from all the points.

.. and this guy putting down 50k+ on an electric car couldn't do 5 min search for zap-map or plugshare. Way more money than sense, and back in his diesel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Where did you get that statistic from? Are you referring to electric cars or all cars?
It was a figure quoted by a company involved in electric car charging. It is not a figure of how many car are actually parked off road but more a figure of how many could be kept off road. A report by the RAC some years ago (https://www.racfoundation.org/assets/rac_foundation/content/downloadables/spaced_out-bates_leibling-jul12.pdf) suggested 50% - 60% of people had the option to park off road for at least one vehicle. My original point was more about the fact that a large number of people who buy electric car can charge at home (on property or at the roadside) and would not then need to stop to charge for the majority of their journeys.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just watched it. .

Public charging needs to be as reliable and easy as getting petroL it isn't.

Range item with what cars made up test was a bit weaker but we all know that EVs don't do the advertised range as the tests are weighted against cold weather and motorway travel.

Every person said how good the EV driving experience was. It's still the public charging network that is a problem in many areas.

The fact that slightly naive bloke with the ipace got all his money back plus compensations tells you he must have had a valid complaint. The odd thing was why he seems to have been told his car wasn't compatible with a type 2 charging post.

Nothing like a hatchet job. They were all issues that have been brought up by users in here!
Agreed entirely. The real message was 'do your research' and you won't get 'ripped off'.

BUT...

Am I not right in thinking that the first 'motor' cars, going back to around 1900, were electric? Am I not right in thinking the oil barons worked hard to get them phased out in favour of the petrol engine? And won.

Might there not be a conspiracy supported by the oil companies to keep the ratio of petrol/diesel pumps to EV chargers as much in favour of the ICE as possible? Are these 'service stations' not mainly owned by the oil companies? If so why encourage the growth of the EV?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Agreed entirely. The real message was 'do your research' and you won't get 'ripped off'.
I think it is more about do you research and you may find that this is not the car for you, or indeed it is but you have to adapt your thinking a little... ie not turning up at your local Shell/BP/etc. wondering why the nozzle doesn’t fit.

Survey in the US had a significant proportion of people believed that BEVs still need to be filled with petrol... so there is still some way to go regards education which in turn should help with the countering of FUD.

There was no ripoff here only some mild disappointment as far as I am concerned.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts