Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help, last night drove into a large puddle, (dark road did not see it until the car was on top of it) car drove ok but on my way home BCI warning came on an now the car will not charge, sometimes i get this error if I use a rapid charger bit the error will reset 10-15 mins if I lock the car, thought it would reset during the night but no luck error still showing, have tried disconnecting the 12v battery for a few hours but still no luck, and suggestions or is it a case of going to the garage.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sounds like you got water somewhere it's not meant to be.

I would try disconnecting both batteries, and put car in a warm garage for a few days with an electric radiator. You might find it's back to normal when it's dried out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you got water somewhere it's not meant to be.

I would try disconnecting both batteries, and put car in a warm garage for a few days with an electric radiator. You might find it's back to normal when it's dried out.
Unfortunately I do not have access to a garage, I have no disconnected both batteries and will leave for a few days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after isolating both batteries overnight I have reconnected them and now the constant humming from engine and electrical motor failure error warning has cleared, I am able to drive the car now but BCI error still shows can I clear this with odb, as I have done the usual lock the car and leave for a while.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I think there's still some water in there Michael. I would disconnect batteries again, and leave a bit longer. Do you have a small fan heater you could set very low and direct at the bits that got wet?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will do that, as for the fan I don't have access to a garage so I cant dry it out, I maybe leave for a few days, I have it booked in for Weds so I can leave the batteries disconnected until Tuesday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So decided yesterday to plug the car in for a charge, firstly it failed so I left the car still connected for around 10mins unlocked the car and started to charge, thought this mabe the end of my problems, after around 2-3 miles of driving heater goes stone cold BCI error reappears, so I take car home plug it in for charge fails first time, leave unlock starts to charge and heater is working, after 2-3 miles of driving same thing happens now done this 3-4 times.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,338 Posts
Hrm doesn't sound good. Insurance might need to come into play? Water damage plus electronics tends to be a fair outlay unfortunately

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,963 Posts
So much for being able to drive through water in an EV...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Be careful.. water in bad places can cause corrosion that may not cause problems for a while. You may be able to get it going now, only to have it fail later. Even if you do manage to thoroughly dry it out, I'd suggest getting it checked out properly.

·
Registered
871 Posts
You really need to get the car dried out properly before reconnecting the batteries Michael. Voltages in the wrong places caused by water can cause damage to sensitive electronics.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,963 Posts
Can you clear the faults and quickly sell it to WBAC or similar while it's working? Doubt they'll plug it in til it's too late.

·
Registered
255 Posts
So much for being able to drive through water in an EV...
To be fair, Renault never claimed you could - the manual warns against driving through standing water deeper than the bottoms of the wheel rims.

(Tangentially-related tip: If the only access to your AirBnB property involves either 1) fording a river or 2) getting you to unlock your "back route" gate, please specify that information in your listing, or don't get uppity when an EV driver who has paid to stay there asks you to do the latter to avoid the former...)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well decided to bite the bullet last night and call my car insurance, the have decided to write the vehicle off without even inspecting the damage, called at 10pm last night and had a settlement figure by 10am this morning, lest just say I am well happy with the figure, the are also covering the cost or the battery to be written off, no onto my next.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Wow, well its probably for the best as it could cause problems in future if not fully investigated/resolved.

I've dropped you a PM.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts