Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has just had "Battery Charging Impossible" appear while driving at 70 on a dual carriageway.
A quick start / stop didn't reset it (she is now leaving it for an hour while she plays ice hockey).
This is our first BCI after having the car for 11 months. Getting it while driving seems a bit odd!
She has enough charge to get home later (so I haven't looked at Canza etc yet) but anyone else had this while driving?

Attachments

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,328 Posts
It's technology, so anything can happen. But indeed seems odd, unless charging was remotely disabled. Assuming battery lease are the T's crossed and the I's dotted?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No lease - its a purchased battery.

She tells me that cruise control stopped and refused to come on too. I wonder if its regen linked.

·
4,328 Posts
OK, that should exclude remote disabling. The CC/SL going offline is a side effect of an uncleared BCI. Irritating, but it will disappear once the BCI is cleared.

·
Registered
539 Posts
No lease - its a purchased battery.

She tells me that cruise control stopped and refused to come on too. I wonder if its regen linked.
Happened to me after some messing around charging on a bad charger. BCI, CC error, and no regen. Try charging (although impossible!). This cleared all the faults for me when I plugged in at home.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. Leaving it for an hour didn't help.
Plugging in at home didn't start charging
Can't see any issues at all in Canze - no DTCs at all.
Its also used much more battery energy than normal - down to 9% after 100 miles.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not often in the bonnet. Is it normal that everything gets wet in the rain? Doesn't seem like a good idea for electrics, but there is a clear gap at front of bonnet.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is it possible that the bonnet was just on the first safety latch and not fully closed shut?

·
Zoe Devotee
8,165 Posts
A little bit of water like that should cause BCI. But I've seen a low-ish 12v causing BCI while driving. Perhaps a puddle doused the 12v, water between the the contacts wouldn't be good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I pulled the handle last night it popped up a bit.
I've left the car at home (using my ICE today normally driven by Mrs RR...)
There appears to be a designed gap below the lid above the Renault sign, between the lights.

I'd have thought the 12V battery would have been charging when going at 70 (or so) on a motorway.
When I attached Canze last night, it was reading 13.2V (I think - I wasn't concentrating on it) suggesting that the invertor is still going. Its also only 11 months old - battery should be OK.

·
4,328 Posts
Unlikely that the battery is shot, but crusty contacts is always an option. The car starts pulling the bus voltage to 13.4-ish volt as soon as it's awake (unlocking the door is enough); it is extremely hard to create an "under load" situation for the battery as "no engine needs to run at all". You'd just be loading the inverter, which can easily provide 80 amps BTW. In CanZE in the 12 volt batteryy screen there is a "voltage under load" value, which I have always interpreted as voltage when the car was triggering the pulse box, but I have no good "battery is good" value as reference.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Its getting more curious. I left it at home plugged in (I thought why not...). It was flashing red on the charge port when I left it.

Its just emailed me to say that its fully charged. I assume that the garage will be able to pull the error events out of the car on Tuesday if I continue to drive it?
They did warn me that they would charge £80+ for a diagnosis if it turned out to be not warranty related - what are the chances they try and charge me if it appears to be fully working when I turn up with it!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is the car 11 months old? Or is it older and you just got it 11 months ago?
For an 11 months old car, can there be anything not "warranty related"?
I find this hugely interesting because my 18 months old ZOE showed a BCI in August. Although,in my case, it did happen while it was plugged in at a rapid charger.
I couldn't get it to accept a charge at any public charger, so she went home on a flatbed. At the wallbox at home she charged quite happily.
So far, I had no more issues at any charger. Therefore the garage haven't checked up on it. But they asked me to keep them informed if it ever happened again. They certainly wouldn't charge me for investigating...
the only thing that makes me wonder, is, that, the night before the BCI came up, we had extremely severe weather. I did not check for water under the bonnet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bought new in January. My feeling is that its warranty related - just worried I might have to argue that.
Do others have any sort of sealing at the front of their bonnet or is there an air gap? I assumed that the gap was intentional for cooling.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There is no sealing in the sense of rubber, like the doors have. But there is no real gap, either. Pulling the lever leads to a gap, so that you can switch the fiddly handle to open the hood fully.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
If the drains in the scuttle are blocked water wooshes over and drowns the inside of the motor bay. I have been clearing mine as I noticed a splash mark on one of the mystery black boxes near the battery.

BCI while driving is peculiar. I'd be checking the charge port inner flap is shut and there's no crud in there and that the outer door is shutting properly.

Also make sure there isn't a chance the key fob could be leant on and have the charge flap open button pressed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Charge flap gives a clear and obvious "charge flap open" warning which I didn't have, and doesn't persist once closed so that seems unlikely.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts