Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With snow being threatened by all the weather forecasts can anyone with experience of driving a Zoe in the snow pass on their experience/advice? Or should I leave her cosy and dry in the garage?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
I agree with @kitsi80 the level of control at the accelerator pedal is amazing. It allows you to gently move away on ice and snow. The huge tyres also help with grip. Zoe is a great car for icy conditions.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Reactions: yoh-there

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Even though the front tyres are getting low on our Zoe, it coped really well when we had the snow in January. I was worried that eco tyres and low tread would cause problems. There's a blizzard here now, so let's hope SWMBO can get back up the drive tonight...

Reactions: yoh-there

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
There's a blizzard here now, so let's hope SWMBO can get back up the drive tonight...
If not, I'm sure she won't mind driving down to Northampton to pick up some snow socks, and trying again!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mines been great so far, especially with new Cross Climates on the front. The extra weight helps a lot, but that obviously doesn't help if you have bald tyres.

I find it a lot less stressful compared to an ICE car as it's a 1 gear auto, with very predictable torque and the regen is great for getting down hills where an ICE would need to use the brakes.

In this weather, slow and steady wins the race.

·
Registered
694 Posts
This message put out earlier this morning by Transport Scotland:

RED Weather Warning for SNOW in place 'til 10am THIS MORNING
@policescotland advise DO NOT TRAVEL.
If you have to PLEASE #BePrepared: Fully charged mobile phone Food/water Blanket/sleeping bag
Full tank of petrol/diesel or fully charged vehicle @transcotland

Apart from the shouty tweet with a penchant for gifs, at least EV drivers are being recognised!

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
609 Posts
... with a heater that barely works.
The heater in our Zoe works well, at -5 degrees, and we benefit from being able to pre-heat (on the mains if plugged in). If your Zoe heater isn't working I'm sure I've seen threads on how to improve things on the forum.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I don't have a problem with the heater in my Zoe in normal mode at these temperatures, but I've never had much heat out of it in Eco mode, although I haven't tried it when it's sub zero, perhaps I should give it a go. Generally I've just about given up with Eco mode, it comes as a bit of a shock when you think I'll just jump into a gap and then find the car doesn't accelerate as well as I was expecting. The accelerator mapping in normal mode seems to be fine to allow controlled starts in icy conditions.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Using Eco in this weather sounds a bit masochistic, with a heater that barely works.
It's not necessary to use ECO on snow. The accelerator is so controllable that you just have to have a light right foot.

IMO ECO is a waste of space, all it does is make you uncomfortable. Driving correctly can save as much (probably more) mileage without being cold. I stopped using it ages ago.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,120 Posts
I'm getting a little fed up with the veracity in which the TC kicks in to stop you being able to drive. To the point if one wheel slips it reduces power to the point that you could get out and push the car faster than it'll let you accelerate. A little controlled wheel slip in snow is often very handy but the Zoe just steadfastly refuses to allow this, which is weird because it does this just fine in the wet. Maybe the TC is wired up to the temperature gauge and switches to the most agressive map ever to force you into reconsidering your trip.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I used my Zoe in snow a year ago and it handled it extremely well on whatever the standard eco tyres are.

I had to stop a couple of times to help push big Audis/BMWs to the side of the road but I never came near to being stuck.

My wife went out in ours yesterday and similarly had no problems.

Still if you don't need to make the journey I'd stay put.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts