Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, previously had a Nissan Leaf at my old address. Has a type 1 3kw charger. Sold the car after nearly 5 years and then moved house, leaving the charger.

Have an E-Niro coming in a few months and trying to get a charger installed at my new house. Now BP Chargemaster have told me I am not eligible because I sold the car, moved house and left the charger at my old house.

They have quoted the regs, but not been specific and I cant find anything in there.

Any help/guidance is really appreciated please?

Thanks, Gareth

·
Registered
17,400 Posts
Have an E-Niro coming in a few months and trying to get a charger installed at my new house. Now BP Chargemaster have told me I am not eligible because I sold the car, moved house and left the charger at my old house.
You are eligible on two counts because it’s a different car under your name and a different house.

Also it was 5 years ago for the last one, so I think you win on time spent as well.

·
Premium Member
11,222 Posts
That certainly wasn't my understanding. We haven't claimed against our Tesla and plan to do so when we move house. I am fairly sure you can't claim twice on the same car or more than once (twice if two EVs) at same address. I understood that OLEV tracked cars and addresses but not people, but perhaps it has changed? I will read docs again when back at a PC...

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
This is a grey area, you may not qualify but there are potential ways around it:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/873887/evhs-guidance-for-customers.pdf

12. Individuals are not eligible for the grant if:
  • they have claimed previously under the EVHS or DRS;
  • they wish to claim for a second chargepoint but do not have two eligible vehicles.
So from what you are saying you have previously claimed, and you do not have two EVs at the same time.

Do you have a partner? If so have they claimed previously? If the vehicle is in their name then they (strictly not you) can claim.

Saying all of that the benefit of the grant is often lost in the ridiculous prices that some installers charge for these so called "Smart" units, and you may get a better deal without the grant.

You need to decide what features your charger needs and then shop around.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I understood that OLEV tracked cars and addresses but not people
OLEV track people, not cars. Both my Wife and myself have brought pre-owned cars that at least the previous owners had claimed the OLEV grant on and we have again claimed. But that is our grants gone.

·
Premium Member
11,222 Posts
It is documented that a grant can be claimed more than once per car but only after 6 months and at a different address. They track car registrations to avoid fraudulent claims by owners or installers.

The form has been updated in March, but still says "The Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme grant is limited to one installation at a domestic residence per eligible vehicle, up to a maximum of two chargepoints at a single residence"

Section 4 still confirms the eligibility and lists all the criteria, including the following two statements that you have to confirm are true (my bold) -
  • "To my knowledge, a grant has not previously been claimed at this property by myself or spouse/partner/family member under the Domestic Recharging Scheme (which ran from February 2013 to August 2014) or EVHS"
  • "I have not previously claimed under the Domestic Recharging Scheme or Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme for this vehicle"
When we move to a new address I can truthfully state both of above are true for our Tesla.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everyone, thank you. I shall go back to BP Chargemaster.

Really thinking about a non smart charger and have a local electrician that would do and sign it off for me. Works out quite a bit cheaper!

Cheers. Gareth

1 - 8 of 8 Posts