Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a thought that came to me the other day. It is basically me being pedantic because I really can't ever see this as ever being a problem but it did occur to me nontheless...

In the UK it is illegal to sound your car horn between 11pm and 7am. Now where do we stand when we plug in the Ampera between those times because when you do the horn beeps a code.

OK, I can hear you all saying that no one would ever get nicked for such a short beep but the law doesn't specify a length of beep below which it is OK. Strictly speaking we might be breaking the law everytime our car beeps between those hours!

You are welcome to have a dig at me for being silly and I accept that criticism. Interesting thought though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Paul,

Regulation 99 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 states that horns and other warning instruments must not be used:

when the vehicle is stationary (other than an emergency involving another vehicle, a reversing alarm or a boarding aid alarm), or
in motion on a restricted road between 2330 hours and 0700 hours.

Basically you are in the clear for traffic law as no doubt you would not be on a 'road' when plugging in at home. You still have to be on a road to commit the offence at any hour when stationary.

Your neighbours might have a different view regarding getting you an ASBO!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Paul,

Regulation 99 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 states that horns and other warning instruments must not be used:

when the vehicle is stationary (other than an emergency involving another vehicle, a reversing alarm or a boarding aid alarm), or
in motion on a restricted road between 2330 hours and 0700 hours.
Basically you are in the clear for traffic law as no doubt you would not be on a 'road' when plugging in at home. You still have to be on a road to commit the offence at any hour when stationary.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike said:
OMG! I could be a criminal!!! :shock:

Thanks for that Mike. I feel a lot better and will sleep much better at night now :D :D

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The Regulation refers to 'using' a horn or warning device, which I read as pressing the horn button to make it go beep.
If your car beeps the horn when you set the car alarm or plug in the charger or something like that, I don't think that is you 'using' the horn as such.

(I'm surprised it's not something more high tech. I hope the car alarm when it goes off isn't just the horn going BEEP BEEP BEEP)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
markweatherill said:
The Regulation refers to 'using' a horn or warning device, which I read as pressing the horn button to make it go beep.
If your car beeps the horn when you set the car alarm or plug in the charger or something like that, I don't think that is you 'using' the horn as such.

(I'm surprised it's not something more high tech. I hope the car alarm when it goes off isn't just the horn going BEEP BEEP BEEP)
Having set off the alarm by accident already I can confirm that the alarm is just that :-(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts