Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we use the Ampera to go to our caravan we charge there on the site hook up. It is very new and rated at 16A so it should be well up to the task. I use a dedicated cable to the hook up post (16A Commando) but I only charge on 6A as I want to have as much headroom on the 16A available as possible. My caravan takes about 3A max (usually less) when not using the kettle, heating etc.

I have noticed that the car charges fine for a while, perhaps an hour or two, but then occasionally beeps the single beep as if it has just been plugged in. I assumed at first the the site voltage was dropping and tripping out the EVSE then cutting back in again when the voltage picked up and it might still be that. However, as I say, the site is nearly brand new and so are the electrics and the voltage is normally pretty steady. I suppose it could drop if other caravans all turn on the kettles at once but without voltage recording equipment I cannot prove that either way as the drop could be of short duration.

So at this stage I am not assuming this to be a problem but I thought I'd raise the issue here and see if anyone else has any similar experiences or thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hi Paul,
We stayed at a b&b in Scotland this July which had a CL. We charged our car using their hook ups at 6amp with no problem.
We recently stayed at a campsite in Wales and I plugged the car in to one of their hook ups.
After a while the car started to beep as you described. Eventually the car disconnected itself and I gave up at this point. On reflection I do remember speaking to the site owner a couple of years ago who told me that there had been overload problems and he had sorted it by restricting the consumption.
Geoff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Paul, just a thought. Recently I had the car alarm going off at odd times. On checking the car everything seemed to be fine. After a time I discovered that the home charger although appearing to be charging happily was in fact only just making contact and was breaking contact in high winds etc. and as I had the alarm activated for cable theft, the alarm was triggered. I wonder if this could be the case with your dedicated cable if you didnt have the cable theft alarm activated, as the car would beep if it was a dodgy connection and it thought it had been disconnect then reconnected.

Clive

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

Yes, it could be low voltage but if it is then it is intermittent. I don't suppose I can determine that either way.

Yes, it could be the connection I suppose. I can't be certain of that either way except that it has never done it anywhere else and if it were just a bad connection then I would expect it to happen else where. I shall certainly make sure of the connections when I plug in though just to be sure in future.

Thanks again.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
I've seen this on a camp site and also at Beaulieu where the cable runs were long on both.

The camp site claimed to offer 3kW per pitch, but we proved it wasn't possible. Beaulieu is a Polar charger.

The mechanism is the after a while the cable heats up and causes more resistance and further voltage drop, enough to trigger the car to cut off. After a few times the EVSE stops charging the car as it thinks there is a recurring fault.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's interesting David. Thx.

Well I am at the caravan now and I charged yesterday after driving to the camp site, so it was totally empty, and charged at 6A and it seemed fine.

I suspect you are right... voltage drop dropping out the charging. I will get a volt meter on it in the next couple of weeks (don't have it with me on this trip).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts