Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all - i am looking at an Ampera Earth on Sunday for my potential new company car, mainly due to the 5% BIK rate coupled with the large potential savings in fuel. I commute around 27 miles per day each way and hopefully can recharge my car at the office.

I found the plug below on the building where i work and just wondering if anyone could shed some light as to if it can be used to charge my Ampera and what leads i might need?

Many thanks

Matt

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Looks like a standard Industrial socket (sometimes called a 'commando' socket). Normally these are 16A, but larger versions of the plugs and sockets support 32A or 64A. (it's hard to tell the size from your image but if those are standard sized bricks this would be the 64A version! The Ampera can only draw 16A at most.)

You cannot directly connect an Ampera to a dumb socket. The Ampera needs a smart socket (EVSE compatible) in order to control the power.

You can use this socket if you have a suitable 13A adapter (if this is the huge 64A socket that might cost a lot!) , then use the Charger supplied with the Ampera as if this were a normal socket.

The cheapest option would be to fit an external 13A socket and use the supplied charger. (but you'll have to faff with winding cables every day, ok in summer but not when wet and muddy)

The ideal option would be to install an EVSE tethered charger (Available direct from Vauxhall, or an alternative brand like this http://shop.pod-point.com/item/ph_0055) at you place of work,then you can just plug/unplug with no hassle. Using the same supply as that socket should make it easy to install. But these units cost more than just a standard external 13A socket.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Actually I just noticed that socket is a 4 pin.. in which case it could well be 3 phase+earth not your standard single phase connector.. you won't get an adapter for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts