Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - just wondering what you use to check if a charging location is available for use? I'm in the UK and have a number of apps on my iPhone, none of which seems to give a quick, reliable indication if a point is currently available - although this might be down to my not fully understanding how to use them!

I used to use Zap Map as my go to - it used to pulse if someone was using a post but doesn't seem to do that anymore. The updates to the app have made it confusing to use (for me) - all points in my town say something like 'Charging now - 1 minute' (or 3 minutes or some small number) - I have no idea what this means! Is someone using it? I think 'Started charging 45 minutes' means someone plugged in 45 minutes ago, but it doesn't tell me the status of each socket if a post has two, for example.

NextCharge looks like I might use it for this purpose (although I suppose it's not for that specifically) - but seems to show multiple entries for each location!

Plugshare - I like the idea of this but it's only as good as the information that users post so not usable in tis context.

Polar Instant - good if you the post is Polar of course, and slow because it always loads the whole country first before you tell it your location - odd!

Anyway - I might just be being thick and misusing any/all of the above so happy to receive any wisdom you can share!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Zap map is currently the only map that attempts to replicate near-real-time status from several UK networks.
Openchargemap is fairly complete, and tracks service status daily for many networks, but not in use / idle status.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Simon - I had this reply from Zap-Map:

"In terms of charge point status this is what the different colours indicate:

On the map:

Black outline - devices are available to use
Red outline - there is some kind of issue at this location (not necessarily on all devices)
Blue outline - there is someone charging at this location (not necessarily on all devices)

On the InfoBox:

Main status in BLUE and/or two statuses below the main status - this indicates that we have live dynamic data coming directly from the network and is updated every 5 minutes. The status would either be "Available to Use" or "Charging now"

Main status in GREEN and /or one or no statuses below - usually "No issues reported" means that we believe the charge point is working but we do not have live data from the network

Main status in RED - indicates that either the network or a Zap-Map user has indicated there is an issue with the charge point

As I write this, I realise we need to create a better visual guide - we will do this in the New Year!"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts