Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experienced heads with any top-tips for a good/reliable USB dongle for the OBDII port in the LEAF?

I'd probably like two, one for use with an Android or similar and one for use with iPhone, I THINK the iPhone is more fussy with regard to Bluetooth so there's fewer options on the market?

Anyway, any top tips, as they all appear much the same?

Many thanks!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apple issues here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647 and here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3900772?start=15&tstart=0

Michael Vorhis
HT3647 Re: I want to connect a obd2 bluetooth device. Do i have to buy an android?
05-Feb-2014 16:07 (in response to MrUrban)
KiltedTim and varjak_paw simply didn't appear to understand the question, which was in fact correctly phrased. The original question had to do with iPhone Bluetooth pairing, and had nothing to do with individual apps. On an iPhone/iPad/iPod, one doesn't even have an app selected or active at the time pairing occurs.

The correct answer is that the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch don't support the standard Bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP). They support "iAP over Bluetooth" instead. It has nothing whatever to do with any app. It's the Bluetooth interface software stack.
So for that I guess I need OBD2 to wifi?! and work from there.

Anyway, any good, not too chunky (due to location) Bluetooth OBD2 ports for Android folk can recommend?

·
Registered
991 Posts
For iOS you need a WiFi OBDII dongle such as this. For Android I went with an expensive one as I wanted to avoid compatibility issues, PLX's OBDII is regarded as the best and has an auto power down feature, but it isn't cheap. ELM327 support is the key, some of the cheaper no-brand dongles have a hardware switch to power them off.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The BT one looks fine but that WiFi one is too big, it's going to get kicked or broken :) I know that the LeafSpy guy is working on iOS support via WiFi, what were you looking to hook it up to? I haven't personally used the wifi version but so long as they support ELM327 then they should work ok.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I went for the cheap end OBD2 ELM327 Bluetooth but no switch. I work on the basis that the power draw is minimal and so I am not bothered about turning it off.

Mine cost £7 from fleabay and works perfectly with LeafSpy on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The BT one looks fine but that WiFi one is too big, it's going to get kicked or broken :) I know that the LeafSpy guy is working on iOS support via WiFi, what were you looking to hook it up to? I haven't personally used the wifi version but so long as they support ELM327 then they should work ok.
I was going to have a play, I've worked on iOS apps before so maybe see if I could cobble a little thing together, also just connect it to the laptop, see what's in there.

It's a bit big, but if it'll work I can live with that, at least until an upgrade (in cost and form factor) is worthwhile.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Just a point for anyone with a Mk1 Leaf... the OBD2 port is underneath the dash pointing down and it is easy to leave a dongle plugged in to the port. With the Mk2 they have moved the port to be under a cover at the bottom of the dash but pointing back instead of down. If you have a big dongle (aaahm!) then it may be inobtusive to leave it plugged in on the Mk1 but on the Mk2 you cannot replace the cover with the dongle plugged in and it might be difficult to leave it in while driving if it is quite big.

I am sure those with a Mk2 will elaborate further :)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a point for anyone with a Mk1 Leaf... the OBD2 port is underneath the dash pointing down and it is easy to leave a dongle plugged in to the port. With the Mk2 they have moved the port to be under a cover at the bottom of the dash but pointing back instead of down. If you have a big dongle (aaahm!) then it may be inobtusive to leave it plugged in on the Mk1 but on the Mk2 you cannot replace the cover with the dongle plugged in and it might be difficult to leave it in while driving if it is quite big.

I am sure those with a Mk2 will elaborate further :)
You don't want to be fiddling around under the dash due to an oversized dongle when you're driving, most distracting!

I should know, phnar phnar. :oops: :rolleyes:

To add something half useful, yes this is an issue, I helped @dpeilow with his dongle on their drive north, quite awkward.

·
Registered
991 Posts
With the Mk2 they have moved the port to be under a cover at the bottom of the dash but pointing back instead of down.
It's still pointing down on the Mk2, just under a cover. Mine fits fine but it is essentially just the plug as the dongle itself is at the end of a short cable and I've tucked that under the dash, the cover is in the glovebox.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought this one only last week.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CRXB9US/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works fine and has an on/off switch which I kind of like, although I'm sure the drain is negligible and it's not necessary.

No problems using LeafSpy on a Nexus 4, running Android Kitkat.

I've got a Mk2 leaf and the dongle doesn't get in the way at all. It is plugged straight into the ODBII socket, no cable, and is so small there's no problem. Although it does look a bit industrial with the missing cover and this strange black box with flashing lights sticking out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi folks,

Has anyone bought a dongle like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171577524210 For use with leafspy (and an android tablet)? I've got mine, but I'm having trouble with getting it working. it plugs in okay, and flashes a yellow, a green and a red led. The red led stays on solid, and I can pair the dongle with my Note 2 tablet. That's it though, I can't get it working with the leafspy app, or any other app for that matter.

I'm wondering if the dongle is faulty, or if there is something I have missed/forgotten to do?

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've got the same one from Amazon and it works fine on my android phone (4.4.4 Sony Xperia Z2). No issues setting up what so ever. Might be a faulty unit?

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's what I was hoping it wasn't. I'm going to try it on the other car tonight, and see if that works. Fingers crossed it is me being thick!

Andy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Right. Got it communicating with leaf spy. It turns out it is actually a v2.1 elm327 device, not the v1.5 it was advertised as. Mildly annoying....

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hi folks,

Has anyone bought a dongle like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171577524210 For use with leafspy (and an android tablet)? I've got mine, but I'm having trouble with getting it working. it plugs in okay, and flashes a yellow, a green and a red led. The red led stays on solid, and I can pair the dongle with my Note 2 tablet. That's it though, I can't get it working with the leafspy app, or any other app for that matter.

I'm wondering if the dongle is faulty, or if there is something I have missed/forgotten to do?

Cheers
Andy
I think its faulty, I have the same one and it works fine with leafspy on Galaxy note 3.

·
Likes talking about cars
789 Posts
Right. Got it communicating with leaf spy. It turns out it is actually a v2.1 elm327 device, not the v1.5 it was advertised as. Mildly annoying....
I'm in the same boat, arrived today, purchased as v1.5 ELM327 but LeafSpy states its v2.1. Annoying as you say.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts