Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the walking dead the other day and they were driving an ICE car around. It got me thinking about how an EV would perform in that situation.

Obviously an EV is quieter so wont attract the undead as much, but charging it up could be harder than siphoning off petrol from other cars. Then again, petrol would eventually run out and you can still generate electricity from the sun etc.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,736 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
175 Posts
I feel like currently, parts are more freely available to source/steal on ICE vehicles, and finding a mechanic to repair your ICE is going to be a lot easier than an EV one.

Also, the number of ICE vehicles dotted around, in parking garages etc are far going to outnumber the EVs in order to nick some fuel. Also it's rather inconvenient to have to plug your EV in and wait 10 hours or more for a reasonable solar charge to escape a hoarde of evil zombies coming towards you. I assume siphoning petrol will be a lot easier.

Though, if you have a cybertruck and can mow down a load of zombies, that's a clear advantage...

·
Registered
909 Posts
Surely the answer is a bicycle.
Quicker than a zombie can run.
Doesn't require diesel or petrol that would be diminishing resources in an apocalypse, nor rely upon the sun shining tp provide power, something rarely availabe at this time of year in the Northern hemisphere.
As long as you have food to eat, to provide calories to burn, you're good to go.
Mount a Gatling gun on the handlebars and you could shoot a few errant zombies on your travels too.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Again, useless without sun and technology to provide it's power source.
Otherwise it becomes an overweight heap of junk that wouldn't outrun a snail let alone a zombie 😆

·
Registered
310 Posts
Old school non turbo diesel with mechanical fuel pump that’ll basically run on any viscous liquid is the answer.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
684 Posts
I've heard this before, but I don't think there is a lot of evidence for that. I've had petrol in my shed for the lawnmower which is 3 or 4 seasons old. Never had an issue using it the lawnmower. Agree it may cause "lumpy" running in a modern petrol though.
As for diesel, that would probably last even longer, I use heating oil at home and that doesn't seem to "spoil". I suppose any additives may break down. But the fuel itself should keep for years.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,522 Posts
I use heating oil at home and that doesn't seem to "spoil".
My buddy in Zurich has oil fired heating. He got a solar thermal system installed and didn’t use his oil boiler for about 6 months.

When he tried to fire it up in the winter it wouldn’t light.

Engineer told him the fuel had gone off and the only option was to add more and use it all.

So it is a thing. Just ask any chemist.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts