Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I'm hoping to join the EV club, looking to switch from my 30mpg focus ST.

My garden is roughly 7 meters in length with 2 personal spaces backing onto the end.

Do they need to be installed against the house or dug underground and installed on a post? Ideally I don't want to run a 10m cable across the middle of my garden when charging and would like to keep things cheap if possible (not sure if digging is expensive). I do have a shed near the rear, can EV points be installed on sheds or outside of fence post? With a fence post install could someone easily steal it?

Looking for any parted wisdom, please help. I've attached some pictures so you can see my parking space and garden. Please note the wall to the side of my house is actually my neighbours house wall (drawn light blue line for clarity).

Attachments

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,702 Posts
The charge point can be fastened to anything really, so long as it’s secure. Mine’s on the neighbours fence. In your scenario I’d want it next to the car. Run an armoured cable either along the base of the fence or fasten it to the fence, the latter makes replacing/repairing the fence a pain. Suitable armoured cable doesn’t have to be buried deep, ours runs along a wall between gardens, just tucked out of sight.

worth noting you need to run new a new cable, can’t use the existing shed supply.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Life Pro Performance, MY22 (software v2.3)
170 Posts
2 personal spaces backing onto the end.
When you say “personal”, do you mean that you own the land, or that they are assigned for your exclusive use even though you don’t own the land?

Unless you own the land, unfortunately your installation won’t be grant eligible - there’s another recent thread on this. (Doesn’t mean you can’t install a charger though, as long as you have any necessary permissions).

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Both ours are on posts. The one at our old house was on a post, too. You can bury a supply cable, or run it around a wall or fence. Burying is better, but there's no real problem with putting the cable in a bit of conduit or trunking and running it along a fence. Not hard to do a neat job like this, either.

Here's an example of a post mounted charge point, it's the one I put in by the side of our drive where my wife parks her car:

Leaf Branch Sunlight Vegetation Biome

As above, unless you own the land where your car is parked, and the land over which any charging cable is going to pass, you probably aren't going to be eligible for the grant. Having said that, there is a lot to be said for getting a good local electrician to do the work, and you may well find that you get a better job for close to the same cost as using one of the installers that are claiming the grant on your behalf.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless you own the land, unfortunately your installation won’t be grant eligible - there’s another recent thread on this. (Doesn’t mean you can’t install a charger though, as long as you have any necessary permissions).
Thanks so much, I did not know this! It's allocated parking so looks like I won't be grant eligible

worth noting you need to run new a new cable, can’t use the existing shed supply.
Thank you, I'll bare that in mind I think I have a couple areas I could tuck the cables :)

Here's an example of a post mounted charge point, it's the one I put in by the side of our drive where my wife parks her car:
I really like this, I'd just be worried someone might steal it. Around 6 months ago someone's hybrid catalyst was stollen on my estate. Would it be difficult to steal without making noise? My bedroom window overlooks my car parking space and I sleep next to the window

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
It's a live bit of kit, so not easy to steal, really, and only has a limited resale value, as it's something that has to be installed by a competent person, and a chit has to be lodged with Building Control (by law) in England and Wales, so not a DIY job . For sure people do break the law and DIY installations here and there, and also install these things with no regard for either their or public safety, but there isn't a booming market for ripped off charge points, any more than there is a booming market for nicked garden lights. I'd be more worried about theft or vandalism to the car, TBH. If that concerned, a CCTV camera might provide some deterrent, and the cable could be run at the same time as the charge point.

·
Registered
245 Posts
#
If you want to hide it - put the evse on the inside of the fence, and hook the cable at the top inside, and just loop it over the fence when charging, or even put a 'cat' flap in the fence and reach through for the plug when needed.

I did this at my last house with a granny in a similar setup to you, mostly worked except one night at 3am someone smashed the plug - luckily no damage to the car socket but I stopped charging overnight so lost out on Go rates.

Did notice though that the neighbour in front of the car has a back gate there, so you would need to stop them squeezing between the car and your fence.

Also - most evses have some kind of light to show the status ( some cars as well ), this varies from a single led to a spinning set of status lights so can be hard to make the charger inconspicuous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts