Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

is any of the electricity suppliers better than the rest. getting my Outlander PHEV in a couple of weeks and I am at the end of my current EDF deal.

do any of them give an electric car subsidy or free charging out and about?

i tried to get a quote for an EDF tariff called 20:20 for 3 weeks before giving up as it sounded perfect with a 20% off between 9pm and 7am

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'll second @jontracey. I've found the customer service of Ecotricity to be outstanding.

However although this is not an energy supply issue, I will say I am disappointed that they haven't listened to the scores of unhappy EH customers and removed the clustering from the EH map. I haven't spoken to anyone who likes the clustering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After getting our Leaf we switched to Ecotricity. They have been fantastic. Their rates are good, 100% renewable, they put way more money back into renewable sources than any other provider and they have created the awesome Electric Highway.
They also have a special EV traiff https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/green-electricity-car
We also switched to economy 7 so we can charge our car at off peak rates!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
We have been with Ecotricity for the past 3 years and they are great to deal with. Electricity is all 100% renewable and they are building the Electric Highway so we are very pleased to support them. They are not the cheapest but then again, they are not hugely more expensive either.

I have heard good things about Good Energy too and if we couldn't be with Ecotricity we would be with Good Energy.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Yes... get a quote through the web site and tick the box that indicates you own an EV.

That is the tariff we are on :)

I did a spreadsheet yesterday to confirm that we should still be on E7 instead of the standard tariff and we are saving about £200 a year on E7. Our day/night split at the moment is 50/50. Without use we would need to go to a split of 80/20 before it was cheaper on the standard tariff so it is a no-brainer for us. Your mileage may vary :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes... get a quote through the web site and tick the box that indicates you own an EV.

That is the tariff we are on :)

I did a spreadsheet yesterday to confirm that we should still be on E7 instead of the standard tariff and we are saving about £200 a year on E7. Our day/night split at the moment is 50/50. Without use we would need to go to a split of 80/20 before it was cheaper on the standard tariff so it is a no-brainer for us. Your mileage may vary :)
Hehe us EV owners must be the spreadsheet type! My spreadsheet for our usage shows 63% usage off peak as we also time delay our dishwasher and washing machine to make use of off peak. In fact our saving is so good that our electricity bill is actually slightly less than it use to be before we had an EV and were with British Gas on a standard tariff!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
How much difference does E7 really make for dishwashers and washing machines. Particularly for dishwashers aren't we talking pennies a cycle? The bedroom is above the kitchen and the noise wakes us up. Not sure it's worth the hassle to save a few pennies.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
How much difference does E7 really make for dishwashers and washing machines. Particularly for dishwashers aren't we talking pennies a cycle? The bedroom is above the kitchen and the noise wakes us up. Not sure it's worth the hassle to save a few pennies.
I have E7 but never leave the dishwasher etc to run over night. I have a friend that used to do all their washing over night until the dishwasher went wrong and set fire to the kitchen. If it was not for the dog waking them up the might well have all fried

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Wow.....good point

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have E7 but never leave the dishwasher etc to run over night. I have a friend that used to do all their washing over night until the dishwasher went wrong and set fire to the kitchen. If it was not for the dog waking them up the might well have all fried
No smoke detectors?

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
No smoke detectors?
They were in the middle of building work and it kept goilg off due to dust, so they took the battery out:eek:.
They now have a hard wired top of the range system connected to their house alarm.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Going back to the original question, this has been discussed regularly here. The consensus on the forum is that we like companies that supply 100% renewable electricity, which means Ecotricity and Good Energy.

Many EV drivers like to 'reward' Ecotricity for providing its Electric Highway network of rapid chargers by their buying electricity from them.

It's worth going to a comparison website to check whether Good Energy or Ecotricity is more competitive for your postcode and consumption.

I'd like to ask some questions about E7, particularly in combination with solar PV but I'll start a new thread.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I run my dishwasher at night and monitor my electricity generation and use 24/7. You're right modern dishwashers only use about 2kWh for a cycle. But that's still half price electricity. My machines only go on during the day when it's sunny...

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Hehe us EV owners must be the spreadsheet type! My spreadsheet for our usage shows 63% usage off peak as we also time delay our dishwasher and washing machine to make use of off peak. In fact our saving is so good that our electricity bill is actually slightly less than it use to be before we had an EV and were with British Gas on a standard tariff!
63% is impressive. I calculated mine last night (sad I know) and only managed 46% use overnight over the last 12 months. E7 still cheaper though.
I put this poor performance down to my use of public charging - my local station has 2 charge points and CYC tell me I'm the only one that uses them at the moment!;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies, I will get in contact with Ecotricity and see how we go.

I did a few searches for similar threads as I was sure it would have been covered before but was deluged with other information, might need to be more specific with my questions

Dave

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi I use Spark Energy for my power supply they guarantee to be cheaper than the big four companies, the payment terms are monthly in advance so if you do a comparison site check make sure you enter monthly in advance payment if it allows ,as it my not even list Spark Energy if you don't, I also have E7.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts